Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 26

1 2
next

How to open a bank account 2004/11/7 14:52
My wife is Japanese and I am here under SOFA status with the us military. I will like to opewn a bank account in Japan but I was told that I can't. My question is if I couls stay in japamn and leave and return why can't I open a bank account?. if any one out there could tell me how please do. Thank you in advance.
by pete  

Opening bank account 2004/11/7 22:46
I wonder who told you you couldn't open an account. Is it something peculiar to your SOFA status? As far as I know, even non-Japanese on a temporary visitor visa can open a bank account provided they have proof of an address in Japan (i.e. not a hotel). I think all you need is your alien registration card. Having a hanko (stamp) helps, but I don't think it is essential, and a signature is acceptable.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Bank Account 2004/11/8 08:34
Most smaller local banks tend to give foreigners load of excuses to not let them open an account, but if you go to a bigger bank (ie. UFJ, Mitsui-Sumitomo etc...), you should have no problems. Hanko is not required, but like Dave said, it's better to have one. If you don't have a hanko, this will just give the bank another excuse to refuse you. Nonethless, some majar banks started to require hanko for foreigners as well. My bank (UFJ) called me last month to ask me to switch from a signature to a hanko.
by Joe rate this post as useful

Post Office 2004/11/8 09:40
Or try opening an account at the post office. I did it and it was very easy. Not hanko needed, just signature, but you need an alien registration card.
by sonna rate this post as useful

Open a Japanese Bank account from US 2005/1/4 05:38
Hi,
I would like to know if it is possible to open a bank account in Japan from USA without travelling to Japan?

thanks. :)
by Candy rate this post as useful

no good. 2006/5/30 23:20
All of these answers contain some version of ''all you need is an alien registration card...''

That's the rub. As someone in Japan under the SOFA agreement, you can't get a registration card. This is true EVEN FOR someone who is married to a Japanese national (speaking from experience here).

Thus, no bank accounts, no hanko (which requires an official registration at the city office I believe) etc.

It's very annoying, believe me.
by rez rate this post as useful

Joined account? 2006/5/30 23:43
Can't you join your wife's bank account, Pete? Do you need an alien-registration card for that?
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Same Situation 2006/12/15 20:53
My husband is also SOFA status. I think if he wants to open a bank account in Japan, he has to have proof of a Japanese address. I think you can go to the Legal Office and get a notarized statement with your Japanese address. Anyone in Japan can get a hanko made. I think I'll have him try it.
by Okubon rate this post as useful

non-resident account 2006/12/16 14:23
The problem seems to be that those here on SOFA are not "resident" in Japan, within the meaning of the Resident Registration and Alien Registration systems.

Some banks, I understand, offer special "non-resident accounts" that may be a solution.

by anon rate this post as useful

Use VISA or open an bank account? 2007/3/10 04:28
Our 17 yera old duaghter is going to Japan as an exchange student for a year. We will transfer money to her account on a monthly basis, but using her VISA-account will probably be unnecessary expensive with extr costs plus there are not many ''ATM-accounts'' available thre she can use her VISA-card. Does anyone have an experience of what is best to do?
by Catharina rate this post as useful

. 2007/3/10 04:47
Our 17 yera old duaghter is going to Japan as an exchange student for a year. We will transfer money to her account on a monthly basis, but using her VISA-account will probably be unnecessary expensive with extr costs plus there are not many ''ATM-accounts'' available thre she can use her VISA-card. Does anyone have an experience of what is best to do?

I'm a bit confused to what exactly your question is?

She has a Visa Debit card from a bank issued in your home country (whatever that maybe) and are you asking that she will not be able to use her Visa card as much in Japan to withdrawl money?

Is this a homestay exchange program? High School?
by John rate this post as useful

... 2007/3/10 12:11
Setting up and maintaining a bank account in Japan is FREE. However, transfering money from overseas to a Japanese bank account involves a service fees that can cost several thousand yen.

Using a Visa card to withdraw cash in Japan will incurr service charges and possibly interest. These depend on your card company. Some cards have very reasonable fees (a few dollars per withdrawl), others have horrible fees (e.g. fee is calculated as a percentage of amount withdrawn).

You will have to compare service fees for bank wirings to Japan versus service fees for Visa card cash withdrawls.
by Uji rate this post as useful

How to open a bank account 2007/3/11 01:10
Thks for your reply! I guess in the beginning she will use her VISA (applied in our home country, Sweden) and check the fees and compare these to what it would cost us to transfer monye from a swedish bank to a japanese bank as you suggested. Will there be a problem for her to find "automatic cash despensing machines" that accept foreign VISAs? From what I have herad they are not easy to find...

. 2007/3/11 03:24
Post Office ATM's accept most foreign cards. Post Offices can be found all over Japan.

... 2007/3/11 15:26
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thks! 2007/3/18 01:36
John and Uji, much grateful for your help!

How to open a bank account in Japan 2007/5/19 21:22
I'm a Japanese citizen and I live in the U.S. I would like to open a bank account in Japan from here, but how do I do it? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
by Tina rate this post as useful

. 2007/5/20 01:06
I'm a Japanese citizen and I live in the U.S. I would like to open a bank account in Japan from here, but how do I do it? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

You can't.
The only way I see you can is fly to back to Japan, open a bank account, using your parents or some relatives address in Japan (since you're a Japanese citizen already you don't need to show proof of alien registration or anything).

Otherwise, why would you want a Japanese bank account if you live in the US already?

Citibank in Tokyo 2007/5/24 06:28
Some of my friends who are expats and live in tokyo, use Citibank. If you are a US citizen, you can open an account at Citibank in Tokyo. Since they do business in both countries you won't have any problems. My friends use Citibank in Japan since it affords them some tax benefits by depositing their salaries in a bank that is represented in the US.

Good luck, SG
by Big Red Sal rate this post as useful

Citibank is perfect for students too 2007/5/24 06:33
''Our 17 yera old duaghter is going to Japan as an exchange student for a year. We will transfer money to her account on a monthly basis, but using her VISA-account will probably be unnecessary expensive with extr costs plus there are not many ''ATM-accounts'' available thre she can use her VISA-card. Does anyone have an experience of what is best to do?''

Open up a Citibank account for her in the states and then she can withdra her funds without fees in any Citibank branch in Tokyo, etc.
by Big Red Sal rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 26

1 2
next

reply to this thread