Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do I ask for permission to enter? 2014/5/22 23:22
Hello
Hoping someone can help me. In previous visits to Japan I've sometimes struggled to go in to some bars or small eateries as they give off a 'Japanese Only' vibe and I have been waved away before. Is there a nice polite way for me to ask permission to eat/drink in these types of places? I once went with a friend who got us into these places but I've no idea what he said and we aren't friends anymore!
All help greatly appreciated
by PaulGambrill  

Re: How do I ask for permission to enter? 2014/5/23 13:21
"Excuse me, do you speak English?" should help sort out places that can deal with a non-Japanese-speaking customer.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: How do I ask for permission to enter? 2014/5/23 22:14
i've lived here for 2 years and have never been waved away before... then again, i don't really stand out so maybe by the time they realise I'm not Japanese, I'm already seated and its too shitsurei to shoo me away.
by lucky? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I ask for permission to enter? 2014/5/23 23:29
it means the owner and the staffs understand only Japanese language.
if you understand Japanese, no problem to enter it.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I ask for permission to enter? 2014/5/24 04:50
I don't think there are many restaurants who would refuse a person just for not speaking japanese. However some restaurants are reservation only or for previously introduced customers only and they may not be able to explain that in english.

bars on the other hand are different. adult oriented cabarets and clubs often have a sign posted saying japanese only.

by ed (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I ask for permission to enter? 2014/5/24 16:12
We got turned away from a yakitori restaurant in Yurakucho because they didn't know English, despite me telling them in Japanese that it wouldn't be a problem. Thankfully that sort of thing had never occurred to us at any other point in all our trips. I don't think you need to worry. Go in, and you'll be gestured to sit or leave. Non-verbal communication works sufficiently for that purpose.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: How do I ask for permission to enter? 2014/5/24 17:22
Thanks everyone - much appreciated. I'd only been waved away the once but I don't like offending people so I wanted to be as polite as possible. There are so many amazing lokoing places that I've walked past because I didn't think I'd be allowed in - now I know I should be ok!
by PaulGambrill rate this post as useful

Re: How do I ask for permission to enter? 2014/5/24 20:38
It's true that most places won't expressly kick you out, but they probably won't be thrilled with the prospect of dealing with a non-Japanese-speaking customer either.

If you want to be polite and not offend people, perhaps you can learn enough Japanese to ask "Do you have an English menu?" It's not that difficult.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: How do I ask for permission to enter? 2014/5/25 07:53
This is just my thought and I do not intend to hurt any of you.

As a Japanese, I think the problem should not be that you can not speak/hear Japanese but you CAN speak FLUENT (and FAST) English. All Japanese people (as far as the recent 70 years or so) learn English, but as you might notice, our skills in English is still very poor. Japanese and English are totally different languages so it is very hard for us to hear native English.

So, besides just speaking introductory Japanese words such as gSumimasenh (Excuse me?), gIidesuka?h (May I enter/have a seat?), gKonbanwah (Good evening.), you might better notice is that you do not talk too much English. You may speak English, but you should speak slow and clear, using minimum words. Writing on a paper should be fine. You can point out some foods the others are eating, and say gThe sameh. Most Japanese can understand it.

Hope you will enjoy Japan!
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: How do I ask for permission to enter? 2014/5/26 22:00
I speak both Japanese and English, so I may not be qualified to give a good answer, but I wonder if it would work if you try to speak Japanese all the way.

The OP says that he just wants to be polite, not that he wants an English-speaking atmosphere. If you keep asking for English speakers or English menus, you can get to drink but not an authentic experience.

On the other hand, what if you go in with a "iidesuka? (Is it okay?)" and just order some basic drinks or ask for "osusume (recommendations)" without checking the menu? Because that's what I usually do when I go to countries that don't speak my languages.

In fact, I've been waved away numerous times in Asia and Europe when I said, "Do you speak English?" But when I go out, take a deep breath and come back in with a phrase book and point it out, the same person gets quite friendly. Of course, I memmorise some local greetings from my phrase books whenever I enter a different country.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dinning experience in Japan 2014/5/28 13:16

I have visited Japan many times, and I do not speak Japanese; never have I experienced being refused entry into a restaurant due to not speaking the language. However, I experienced twice almost not allowed entry due to the way I dressed, Jeans and T shirts.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I ask for permission to enter? 2014/6/1 06:16
You can say DOMO, SUMIMASSEN. It means Hi, Excuse-me! Gambette (good luck)!
by Kerupas rate this post as useful

Re: How do I ask for permission to enter? 2014/6/2 18:06
Thanks again for the additional suggestions.

I've been studying Japanese for a while but ultimately I don't want to make a fool out of myself by saying the wrong thing. Whatever country I visit I try to use as much local language as possible as I've always found that local people respond better if you put a little effort in. My main reason for asking is because I want to try and enjoy the more authentic and local experience as opposed to sticking to large chain restaurants/bars. You never know what you will find in the little places.

I went to Germany when I was 12 and couldn't speak a word, a man had a right go at me saying 'Why come to a country when you can't speak any of the language?' - since then I always try my hardest.

It's great having a place like this where I can ask for advice, so again, thank you all.
by PaulGambrill rate this post as useful

Re: How do I ask for permission to enter? 2014/6/8 10:35
Ive not been sent away but when the waitress couldn't understand my lack of Japanese, she just walked away and ignored us.

I was okay till, I tried asking for various toppings and a different soup in Japanese.

Had to get a dandily dressed Japanese at the next table to translate for us.

Then again, it was a small ramen shop just north of Yasaka and the waitress was probably older than my granny. Tenpaiken
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

reply to this thread