Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to respond to this statement? 2014/6/1 23:29
Hi!
I have always been wondering how to respond to a statment given by store clerks of Book Off shops for example when they have looked for something I asked about (a speficic book) and they say there is no such book.

I would respond in English "thank you anyway" or "thank you for looking". But not sure how to do so in Japanese.

I have used "arigato" and "sumimasen" (for taking up the time of the clerk or something like that). Would it be a correct respond?
by Jojo (guest)  

Re: How to respond to this statement? 2014/6/2 09:27
I would say:
- Sagashite kurete, arigato. (Thank you for searching for it.)
- Shirabete kurete, arigato. (Thank you for looking into the matter.)

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How to respond to this statement? 2014/6/2 16:35
Thank you! I will go with that ones from now.
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to respond to this statement? 2014/6/2 20:54
I have used "arigato" and "sumimasen" (for taking up the time of the clerk or something like that). Would it be a correct respond?

Yes, that is a correct and common way to respond, meaning that you are thanking the clerk for the effort.

But just to add to AK, I often say, "wazawaza arigatou gozaimashita" which means "Thank you for the trouble." which can also be used when they did find what I wanted.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to respond to this statement? 2014/6/3 12:58
As Uco suggested, if the staff spent time for me, I often say "doumo arigatou gozaimashita" or "wazawaza arigatou gozaimashita". In this case, only "arigatou" maybe sound a bit light, I think.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread