Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hotou at Kawaguchiko 2014/6/24 16:35
I read that Hotou is a very famous dish of Kawaguchiko. Can anyone tell me does it has pork, besides the meat, how about it's broth? I don't eat pork

Tq,
Mel
by Melanie Putra  

Re: Hotou at Kawaguchiko 2014/6/24 18:19
The recipe I have and have used uses no pork. And even for the soup, only bonito fish flakes. The recipe here suggests sing "niboshi" (dried fish) for the soup, and says that "pork or chicken can be included by preference," though the main ingredients are vegetables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C5%8Dt%C5%8D

You might have to ask at the specific restaurant where you go.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Hotou at Kawaguchiko 2014/6/24 23:37
Thanks!
by Melanie Putra rate this post as useful

Re: Hotou at Kawaguchiko 2014/6/24 23:59
It's spelled houtou, and it often includes pork for flavoring.

(I've had it with wild boar, which technically isn't pork.)
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Hotou at Kawaguchiko 2014/6/25 08:20
I've had it served both with pork and without, so you'd better ask at the restaurant.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Hotou at Kawaguchiko 2014/6/25 09:38
Ok.. Tq!
by Melanie Putra rate this post as useful

Re: Hotou at Kawaguchiko 2014/6/25 11:42
To tell the truth, asking about ingredients at a restaurant in Japan isn't going to be 100% accurate. You can find many, many stories about people being assured that a particular dish has no meat or fish, and then having it arrive with obvious bits of bacon or shrimp on top of it.

Trying to find out whether they used pork fat or wild boar in the broth will be even more uncertain.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

reply to this thread