Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Meaning of bagerio, paradise ninety 2014/9/5 02:17
I am helping my cousin compose a book based on his father's experience as a Japanese POW during World War 2, following the defeat of the British Army at Singapore in 1942. The book is based on notes left by my cousin's father. In the notes, reference is made to the word "bagerio" shouted by the Japanese guards at the prisoners. What does this word mean in English? Also, one guard said "More men paradise ninety". What does this mean? Ben
by Ben (guest)  

Re: Meaning of bagerio, paradise ninety 2014/9/5 10:20
Apparently 'bagero' is a bad/rude (swear) word or curse or slang - something worse than 'idiot';-)

Sources:
(mature content!;-)
http://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/2308/ƒoƒJƒ„ƒƒE-to-ƒoƒQƒ-mature-content
http://shiekochan.blogspot.sg/2006/10/bagero.html
by Yet Another (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Meaning of bagerio, paradise ninety 2014/9/5 10:37
The pages linked to above may not make this entirely clear, but "bagerio" or "bagero" are not Japanese, but misheard interpretations of the Japanese "bakayaro". This is still widely used today (TV presenter Takeshi Kitano can barely say a few sentences without using it), as a fairly strong word used mainly by men for "idiot" or "stupid bastard".

I can't offer any clues as to what "paradise ninety" might be referring to. Was this said in English, or is it something said in Japanese that was just misinterpreted as sounding like English?
by Herbie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Meaning of bagerio, paradise ninety 2014/9/5 14:56
Thanks for the two answers above. That nails bagerio/bakayaro. Here is the sentence from my uncle's notes containing the paradise ninety reference:

It became more pathetic every day to see our pals lying around and dying without a chance, with swarms of flies settling all over them and the guard grinning at them, and who sang in broken English `More men paradise ninetyf.

Does this help? Ben
by Ben (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Meaning of bagerio, paradise ninety 2014/9/6 03:02
Ben, since the notes indicate the "paradise ninety" phrase was supposed to be in English, I'm going to go way out on a limb here with this thought. Maybe it was in reference to the US 90th fighter squadron. Their emblem is a pair of dice (sounds like paradise). So the mention of 90 from the guards and the mention of dice...maybe it's a match?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90th_Fighter_Squadron
by Laenir rate this post as useful

Re: Meaning of bagerio, paradise ninety 2014/9/7 21:32
Sounds very feasible, Laenir, and far better than my thought which was based on Lego! Many thanks.

I have one more question. My uncle also talked about the Leggi train carrying troops and supplies to the railway. Could Leggi be a Japanese word for food or supplies or a reference to something else on the train? As before, he may not have spelt Leggi correctly. Ben

Re: Meaning of bagerio, paradise ninety 2014/9/12 18:00
Mystery solved. Here is a copy and paste from another researcher. The "Leggi Train" is a reference (based on a Malayan word) to the line (queue) of men lined up at the cook-house for 'left-overs' of rice after each meal. After the cooks served the allocated portion of rice to the men there was usually some left over which the men took turns to share by lining up for 'seconds'.
It was of course very welcome and men looked forward to being able to get a little extra food at any opportunity. It has been written about by many people in their memoirs.

reply to this thread