Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying Japanese laptop but from UK how 2014/10/7 07:35
Hi

I wanted to buy a Japanese laptop from yahoo auction japan or amazon japan but they wont let me register, is there anyway I could buy this somehow reliably and safely?

Thank you
by James (guest)  

Re: Buying Japanese laptop but from UK how 2014/10/8 05:44
Well for Amazon, you can use your normal Amazon account.
But you can'T buy it anyways because they won't ship to the UK.

If you really want something from Japan you have to you seller sites like: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/
(there is a way to change it to English but I forget how..)
They will ship it to your country, but Shipping costs are high, you have long customs durations, and mostly to pay importation fees!

But why would you want to buy it from Japan ?
It's pretty expensive. And you have to wait like 1-2 month before you will get it because of customs and don't forget the import taxes from your country.
by Uriziel rate this post as useful

Re: Buying Japanese laptop but from UK how 2014/10/8 08:16
Buy at online shop in Japan then ship to a forwarding firm such as below, they will send you.
http://www.tenso.com/en/
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Buying Japanese laptop but from UK how 2014/11/5 04:14
You can buy from Japanese ebayers quite easily using PayPal, but expect to get hit with import charges. SAL is cheap but takes 4 weeks or so. Higher value items will come via EMS, which costs more. It is possible to register on amazon.co.jp although it is a bit complex, quite a lot of stuff is blocked from posting abroad and it's not cheap.

You should be able to change the language in Windows to Japanese on any UK-bought laptop.

See the Language Bar in Windows for switching between English and Japanese text input.

You might be able to get a major brand laptop from a UK supplier and either change the keyboard for a Japanese one, or ask them to, before they sell it to you.

Tech stuff is generally cheaper in the UK and you will have a wider choice.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying Japanese laptop but from UK how 2014/11/5 10:52
Lets just say it's. The worst way to buy a laptop, expensive in Japan, expensive shipping, tax, keyboard is layed out different and might not have warranty.

If you must, there are many sites like this one, you just have to search, some will have better rules of using the service.

http://www.www.shoppingmalljapan.com
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Buying Japanese laptop but from UK how 2014/11/5 12:38
I wanted to buy a Japanese laptop from yahoo auction japan or amazon japan but they wont let me register, is there anyway I could buy this somehow reliably and safely?

Yes, as others have mentioned, it is possible via forwarding services. BUT, also to reiterate, buying Japanese laptops is generally not recommended unless it is something that is only sold in Japan and you understand the extra costs and extra difficulties involved with purchasing and using it.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buying Japanese laptop but from UK how 2014/11/5 17:13
I avoid tax when I have electronics shipped from Asia to Europe by having them write "replacement for defect product" on the package. Never got charged, not even once.

I think there are websites/persons that offer to buy something in Japan and then ship it to your address abroad. Google it!
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying Japanese laptop but from UK how 2014/11/5 17:17
I avoid tax when I have electronics shipped from Asia to Europe by having them write "replacement for defect product" on the package. Never got charged, not even once.

I think there are websites/persons that offer to buy something in Japan and then ship it to your address abroad. Google it!
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread