Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

First day of Spring? 2014/11/15 01:39
I was just wondering when the first official day of spring is in Japan, I read someone that itfs in February? Does anyone know?
by Sanna (guest)  

Re: First day of Spring? 2014/11/15 13:22
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: First day of Spring? 2014/11/15 19:42
There is no official dates for the first and last days of seasons in Japan. (And frankly, having them seems pretty silly to me.)
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: First day of Spring? 2014/11/15 20:01
Well, I suppose it depends what you mean by "official". Risshun et al. are just tradition (based on the Chinese solar calendar), most Japanese don't give it much credence and won't tell you it's spring on February 5 when it's still awfully cold.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: First day of Spring? 2014/11/16 22:51
Sanna,

Since you say "February" you're probably talking about Risshun as all the other posters say.

Risshun literally means "beginning of spring" and although it's really after this that we usually see snow in most parts or Japan, which is quite a long land extending from south to north, it's around this date the daytime gradually gets longer than nighttime, and in the southern region of Kyushu you will start to see plum blossoms blooming.

If you follow some kind of traditional culture such as haiku or tea ceremony, the theory of risshun is very important, because the words and designs you use need to shift into spring mode.

But the real warm weather starts in mid March after traditional calender dates such as "shunbun" or the actual strong wind we call "haru-ichiban."

So in Japan (and perhaps in other Asian countries such as China), the definition of "spring" is slightly different depending on whether you're talking what to wear to your office or what to wear to a kabuki show.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: First day of Spring? 2014/11/17 18:23
So in Japan (and perhaps in other Asian countries such as China), the definition of "spring" is slightly different depending on whether you're talking what to wear to your office or what to wear to a kabuki show.

Nicely put, Uco san. (^_^)
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

reply to this thread