Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying out of season clothing 2014/12/6 03:23
Hello,

is out of season clothing sold widely? I'm going to Japan next summer and what I want to buy the most is couple of hanten for winters back home.

Currently I don't have any really comfortable and warm indoor clothes.
by Chilly (guest)  

Re: Buying out of season clothing 2014/12/6 12:53
I think your best bet would be to try used clothing stores. Just like in the US and other countries, clothing stores change seasons and don't carry a stock of other-season goods, unless its stuff that didn't sell from previous months. However used stores often carry a stock of year-round stuff, so you might be able to find something.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Buying out of season clothing 2014/12/6 16:32
scarreddragon, it would be nice for the OP if you could point out which used clothing stores you find them. I usually end up buying off-season clothing on-line as I can't find them anywhere here in Japan. I also don't know where you can buy second-hand hanten.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Buying out of season clothing 2014/12/8 23:37
You're right, of course, Uco, but I'm not always familiar with stores outside my area, which is Gunma... I think most of the ones I shop at are not chains, so I didn't want to list a bunch of stores that may be way too far for someone to get to.

But for sure, Off House in the Book Off chain of stores is definitely prolific around Japan, and they have a very large selection of clothes even outside of season: http://www.hardoff.co.jp/offhouse/

They also often enough have a good amount of used kimono stuff (what I usually go for...). I've seen hanten once or twice, but obviously it depends on what people sell back so there's no guarantee they'll have some.

Also, the OP could try flea markets in the Tokyo area. Again, not familiar with specifics, but I know there was a thread posted somewhat recently on flea markets in the area, so a search would do some good for them.

Re: Buying out of season clothing 2014/12/8 23:40
I just had another thought... I've also seen them at mom-and-pop futon stores, and if they don't have any available, they may be able to make one for you there. But especially the mom and pop style stores often keep stock from year to year instead of getting rid of it seasonally like the big chains, so they could be very helpful.

Again, not familiar with Tokyo specifics, but there's probably an area with a lot of futon stores close together to try some different options. Maybe Uco will know?

Re: Buying out of season clothing 2014/12/9 00:36
mom-and-pop futon stores, and if they don't have any available, they may be able to make one for you there.

No, of course not. At least that's not supposed to be their profession, and you can't "make" hanten that fast anyway.

Maybe Uco will know?

I'm afraid not.

Again, you can buy them on-line now and have them shipped to various countries.

Re: Buying out of season clothing 2014/12/9 12:38
Uco, I used to live next to a little old lady who made futon. She could make a futon in a day, and a hanten almost as fast! Another futon maker I bought a futon from could make the cloth flip-flop-looking sandals quite quickly (I don't remember what they're called). Since people don't go looking for futon every day, and these kind of stores' sales might be few and far between, the majority of the ones I've seen have other things they make to supplement their income. The lady I mentioned above also had various other kimono accessories she made to fill in her time. It isn't far-fetched at all to think that one of these stores could definitely make one for the OP, or might have some available!

Re: Buying out of season clothing 2014/12/9 18:26
Great!

reply to this thread