Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question regarding rental cars 2014/12/6 22:47
When most visitors visiting japan and rent Nissan cars (for English GPS), do you rent through a agent like japan experience or direct with Nissan, or any other branded cars.
Also do anyone consider the CDW and or Nissan NAS cover plan is necessary.
by kms899  

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2014/12/7 10:04
I've rented Nissan through Tocoo and directly through the Nissan rental site, depending on location and type of vehicle request. I haven't bothered with an English Nabi though but if it's an option, be sure to have them show you the phone number address search (Enter a phone number and you get a location).

The credit card I use gives CDW coverage so I usually don't get the extra CDW. If I'm there on business and I'm not picking up the bill, I get it at the rental agency anyway just to be safe and they know it's covered. Check your credit card company with car rentals in Japan. Chances are you won't need a CDW, but that's the way insurance works. If you do need it, you're glad you have it. When you turn the car in, it's inspected very carefully for even a scratch.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2014/12/7 10:24
THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY

Am I correct to assume the CDW is an extra optional fee to cover the handling charge, even a slight scratch will require you to pay the 50000 yen handling fee and if you have CDW option selected, then this 50000 yen is Waived. Whiles the basic insurance will only cover up to so much, so Nissan ask you to go to the NAS which will upper the limit or unlimited coverage depending on damage cause.

I will not be using a credit card so these option are selectable, so your advice is add CDW, what about the NAS.

I will only be renting a Nissan March, so will you recommend direct from Nissan, Tocoo or Japan experience.

Fromjapan experience its 16200 yen + 3000 yen japn experience handling fee.
I'm sure CDW is not including so it will be an extra 3000 yen on top.
by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2014/12/7 10:28
Added

I should be ok with both Japanese or English navi, but English will definitely be better, and I also have all the mapcode before hand, also does all navi have multiple route option, I prefer to stay away from expressway even though it faster.

Thanks
by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2014/12/8 11:06
Based on my few rental experience in Japan, I think Tocoo offers the cheapest rate. They also offer Nissan cars and it is much cheaper compared to renting directly with Nissan.

Tocoo also has a English website and they respond to queries usually within a day.
I have just made a reservation for a Nissan car from Tocoo and taken the option for a English GPS (1,000 yen extra).
by DL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2014/12/10 20:52
I have tried tocoo, but everytime I tick Include Compensation Coverage, the results come to nothing.

On the on the hand Nissan direct quoted me 18846 yen for a P1 car (march model or similar model)

rental 11th june at 0630 till 12 june 2230

basic fee is 12450 yen

CDW 2400 yen

NAS 1000 yen

NOC plan 600 yen

English GPS 1000 yen

TAX 1396 yen

total 18846 Yen.

cheaper than japan experience which only have basic insurance for 19200 yen, and non of the other options listed above.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2014/12/11 05:19
Suggest you also consider how good the GPS is since it seems, like me, you don't speak much Japanese so getting lost would be a real hassle and could spoil your holiday.
I must have rented a car 8-9 times in Japan by now. Twice through ToCoo-once using a Mazda and once a Nissan, but both times were like 6-7 yrs ago. All other times I chose Toyota because I found their GPS superior although their rates are higher.
The only time I rented a Nissan was at Fukuoka airport. We drove to Beppu and I noticed the GPS could not locate many places such as restaurants, and tourist sights. The local Nissan franchise did not want to know me as my car was rented in Fukuoka. Luckily the Toyota rental shop was right next door and guess what, all those places I could not locate could be found in the Toyota GPS. Beppu was the 1st stop on our 7 days vacation and I knew I had to do something so after getting nowhere with Nissan again, I complained to the local Police station. I was given a business card and when I took that back to the Beppu Nissan shop, they immediately started to make phone calls. To cut a long story short, Nissan took back my car, cancelled my contract and did not require me to pay anything. Then I just walked next door and rented a Toyota and have been renting from Toyota since. I also remember Mazda's GPS as about the same as Nissan's. Hope this will help you.
by Ben (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2014/12/11 05:32
Thanks for the advice, apart from the in built GPS, I will also have my tablet with me as a second GPS, Japanese version is not a problem, but English option is better if available.

I will check out the toyoto.

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2015/1/3 00:09
when people rent a car in japan, do you check the car during collection, things like tires, radiator, and oil tanks.

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2015/4/2 20:29
I have another question about the amount petrol needed for my trip.

3 full days driving a Nissan March, not too sure about what CC it is, but something like 1200-1400.
would 10000yen be enough to cover the petrol cost.

would be visiting these places:

leave Tokyo
Fukiware no Taki Fall
Takaragawa Onsen Osenkaku
Kusatsu
Izu Perfecture area
Keikyu Aburatsubo Marine Park
return to Ueno

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2015/4/14 05:18
Hi

I need some simple English to Japanese translation, hopefully some one can help.

I need to tell the petrol station staff to fill the car up to the automatic cut point with (what ever gasoline the car uses, it will be a Nissan March).

thanks

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2015/4/14 05:31
Full tank == mantan
by iago (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2015/4/14 05:34
Thanks, I already know that, but if I say 満タン Mantan, do they know it means fill it up to the auto cut off point.

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2015/4/14 11:37
I've rented cars on many occasions in Japan, and when I need to fill up at the service station, I just say Man Tan onegaishimasu.
They know to fill the tank completely. They usually come to the window and say something that means, they wish to empty the ashtray.... but I shake my head no, and thank them, and they clean the windscreen. Then I pay usually with a credit card, and they direct me onto the road again. Always a good pleasant service, miles better than in some western countries.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2015/4/14 12:23
when people rent a car in japan, do you check the car during collection, things like tires, radiator, and oil tanks.

No you usually just do a visual inspection as you walk around the car. The rental cars are generally very well maintained (often brand new) when rented from one of the major agencies.

3 full days driving a Nissan March, not too sure about what CC it is, but something like 1200-1400.
would 10000yen be enough to cover the petrol cost.

Your itinerary is something like 500 km so its unlikely you'll go through multiple tanks of gas over three days. A Nissan March should get 300-400 km per tank and cost around 5000 yen to fill up.

I need to tell the petrol station staff to fill the car up to the automatic cut point with (what ever gasoline the car uses, it will be a Nissan March).

Reguraa = regular unleaded
Mantan = full tank
Genkinde = cash (typically cheapest rates)

Thanks, I already know that, but if I say 満タン Mantan, do they know it means fill it up to the auto cut off point.

Yes, that is precisely what it means.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2015/4/14 20:45
Thanks to Love japan and yllwsmrf for your detailed reply

@yllwsmrf

I will probably need more gasoline, this is the first time driving in japan so I'm not too sure the condition are like in japan, also I have check on mapion and google map and will use a combination of toll road and non toll roads to reduce the toll charge, and also I will have to return the car back to Nissan rentals with a full tank.

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2015/4/14 22:36
Filling up with petrol is really no problem. Honestly.

Asking them for "full tank, onegaishimasu", miming a "full" action, pointing to the fuel gauge, etc, will also get you what you want. Albeit inelegantly (but with smiles and sumimasens from you, the staff are unlikely to be offended - they'll probably just have a "crazy foreigner" story to tell their friends and family...and surely a laugh is one of the best free things you could give anyone).

If you think about it, there aren't really many options of what you could be asking for in that transaction, so the staff will pretty easily work out what you want.

by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2015/4/14 22:39
Thanks winter visitor for replying.

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2015/4/14 23:24
if you drive Nissan March, gas consumption is about 20 km/liter on highway and about 10 km/liter on regular road.

by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question regarding rental cars 2015/4/14 23:45
Thanks, Nissan say they will provide me with a Nissan March for my rental.

reply to this thread