Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Some questions about new pen pals 2014/12/8 06:16
In my Japanese class, we recently got pen pals from Japan! They wrote the first letters, so now its our turn to write back. I've never done something like this before, so I was wondering if there are any Dos or Dont's with Japanese pen pals. Also, since the letters might not get done and there until around Christmas, is it okay to send a small gift along too?
by CGIelephant (guest)  

Re: Some questions about new pen pals 2014/12/8 18:42
Why not ask your class teacher about it?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Some questions about new pen pals 2014/12/9 09:01
Maybe you can mirror what they did. Did they ask you questions about your whereabouts, what you do, what your likes are? You can respond to those and ask those yourself. What are you curious about the person who wrote to you?
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Some questions about new pen pals 2014/12/17 03:16
Hm, I've never had a Japan penpal with snail mail but I've talked to penpals online and stuff...

I think a gift item is a good idea ^^
But only something small, and not something necessarily related to Christmas. Maybe a little keychain or something like that.

Try to be as polite and friendly as possible. If there is something that you are worried might be considered rude or upsetting, follow your gut and stick to a topic that is light and harmless. Like John says, try to match what they said in their letter. Talk about you hobbies and interests etc. Talking about the weather or the winter season is always a good bet!

And I would be cautious with the Christmas thing. For example if you send a keychain or toy with Santa Claus, they might not like it if they don't celebrate Christmas. Did they mention Christmas in their letter?

Anyways, penpals love when you send them gifts even when it is not the holiday season ^^
by souleater8 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread