Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Finding a language school in Tokyo or Kyoto 2014/12/10 23:35
It's always been a dream of mine to live in Japan even if it's a year or two. I've been looking into language schools to study there in either Tokyo or Kyoto. The trouble I'm having is picking the right one. I'm not sure how to go about it. My research brought up a ton of names, I was wondering if I could get some recommendations. I would also like to do this in 2016 so it gives me enough time to save up and ultimately hope that I actually get in and have everything ready for it.

I'm leaning towards Kyoto because I made friends with some of the staff at a hostel I stayed at back in April and we still keep in touch so I'll at least know somebody.

I also read that with a student visa you can work part-time as long as you have a document or whatever it is that shows proof, I was wondering, would a hostel be forbidden? They have bars inside and I read that I wouldn't be able to work where alcohol is sold. I figured it would be a great place to communicate with the people staying there. I'm trying to think of places where my English would be a huge asset.
by Darren B  

Re: Finding a language school in Tokyo or Kyoto 2014/12/12 17:13
Indeed there are many language schools in Kyoto. As I don' have any personal recommendation, here's the list of accredited schools in Kyoto Prefecture:
http://www.nisshinkyo.org/search/area.php?lng=2&area=%E4%BA%AC%E9%83%B...

When it comes to part-time jobs, you are not allowed to work in a bar/establishment where you would sit together with the patrons to chat, serve drinks, etc., and also bars/cafes where they keep the light real low (10 lux or less), having private booths seating and things like that.
So if the "bar" you are talking about is brightly-lit, English pub type of atmosphere, that might be OK. Also, if you are generally helping with guest relations (at the front desk, for example) as well, general help at the hostel you live in, with some bar counter service mixed in, sounds plausible. (I hope you are age 20 or older).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread