Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Package forwarding for silver coins from JP 2015/1/2 20:07
Dear All,

I want to use some spare Amazon Japan gift cards to order some silver coins. I've made some good experience with package forwarding services in the past, and got items from Japan forwarded to my overseas address.

However, after reading the excluded items lists of about half a dozen services, both coins and precious metals have always been excluded from the service.

On the other hand, EMS allows to send coins up to 200,000 Yen of value to overseas destinations. So in general, it should be possible. And I'm nowhere near that value of course...

Is there any company you could recommend to ship the coins to me? If it's a bit more expensive than the usual ones - no problem. Having my gift cards expire would definitely be more costly.

Thanks!
Jan
by Jan Krohn (guest)  

Re: Package forwarding for silver coins from JP 2015/1/3 18:27
I tried to send some commemorative coin sets to friend in a country in Europe, and at the post office they checked the rule books and called up the main office to ask... and to that country, cash or "usable" coins simply could not be sent. Period. Of course EMS is post office's service, so maybe it is OK for your country, but be careful with it.

I know DHL does not handle cash or cheques either.

Maybe you might have to ask the forwarding company if they would send "commemorative medals."
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Package forwarding for silver coins from JP 2015/1/4 02:12
Thanks! I found the following already:

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/use/restriction/index_en.html

"Valuables (only for EMS)"

I understand from this page that valuables are only permitted through EMS, not through registered mail.

I also found the list which items are permitted to send to which country. Coins are on that list for many countries, but not for mine. But it explains why the forwarders exclude coins - they don't wanna bother with many individual country rules...

Jan
by Jan Krohn (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread