Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What kanji is this? 2015/1/3 05:28
http://abload.de/img/aspuhe.png
It's the one underlined. I can't really find what kanji it's. The rest of the sentence should be "戦争長*比が招く悪夢のシナリオ". I hope somebody more familiar with Japanese can help me out.
by Marvoch  

Re: What kanji is this? 2015/1/3 10:48
The kanji you can't read is 'ki'.
長期化 = choukika = prolongation

戦争長期化が招く悪夢のシナリオ
=
The scenario of nightmare led by the prolongation of the war
by shi612 rate this post as useful

Re: What kanji is this? 2015/1/3 11:18
The little bars in between the kanji have deceived me. Thanks a lot for your help! While we are at this, may I ask you if you can understand what it says here here? http://abload.de/img/ab2s7g.png
It's the last thing that I have to undestand to fully translate this magazine, but unfortunately I can't undestard all the characters. For what I undestood should be「議(?)論なき議論」の**. I suppose the two ** are kanas. Maybe a native speaker can assume what it says.
by Marvoch rate this post as useful

Re: What kanji is this? 2015/1/3 13:23
My (native speaker here) guess is that the last two covered by th finger are also kanji, seeing from the squareish "angles" of the lines. Kana (at least hiragana) would be somewhat more roundish.
I was thinking of something like "danger," "crisis," "wastefulness," "powerlessness" of discussions without true debate, but I cannot come up with something that really fits that shape.
「議論なき議論」の危険 危機 無駄 無力
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: What kanji is this? 2015/1/3 21:31
Marvoch,

I assume you are translating a manga and a character in the story is holding a book or paper of some sort with those phrases printed on it.

As suggested, it's
戦争長期化が描く悪夢のシナリオ
and
議論なき議論の ...

But the ... part is not the point, so I don't think you need to translate it anyway. Or in other words, you'd be translating "too much" if you do.

"Giron naki giron" is a common expression we use literally meaning "discussion in vain" which implies that people, mainly congressmen, are saying this and that but getting nowhere.

The point is that this character seems to have an awareness towards politics especially in relation to an anti-war point-of-view, and probably is feeling sort of doomed due to the government doing not much for a better future.

Just a tip from a native Japanese translator.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: What kanji is this? 2015/1/4 01:56
Thanks for both the replays.
Uco, it is beyond any doubt that I'm translating "too much", but since I'm neither a professional translator, nor I have some kind of rush, when I translate a "sign" (it's a magazine about an imminent war originated from a long escalation) I like do it outright. That said, thanks for the nice tip about the meaning of 議論なき議論 that I didn't know. That will be very helpful!
Ak, Thanks for the guessing. At first glance I thought those two characters may have been katakana, but if you think that they are kanji, undoubtedly it must be. What I truly serched for were some ideas about what instead of those two characters I could put to give to the sentence meaning, and you helped me out a lot by giving me some useful interpretations, thank you so much!
I'll wait to see if someone have any other tips, then I will proceed with the translation.
by Marvoch rate this post as useful

reply to this thread