Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Graduation gift for new Japanese friend? 2015/1/4 22:14
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a graduation/congratulations gift for a female Japanese friend. I have known her for only a year, as we are Master's students, so I'm not too sure about her taste in things. I want something she will ideally be able to use when she gets a job, like a nice watch or an expensive, professional pen. What do you think would be appropriate for the occasion?

I bought designer watches for my very close friends, but I'm afraid she might feel burdened if I buy her something very expensive like that, since we aren't that close.

Thank you!
by Constance_T (guest)  

Re: Graduation gift for new Japanese friend? 2015/1/5 10:01
I don't know what kind of watch (of what price range) you are thinking of, but as it is something she'd need to "wear," I'd say that would be too "personal" if you know her only for a year. Also yes I would feel burdened if I received something like that from a classmate.

A nice pen would be appropriate.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Graduation gift for new Japanese friend? 2015/1/5 10:04
Take a photo with her and/or lab/program members and put it in photo frame, I think she will be pleased with that.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Graduation gift for new Japanese friend? 2015/1/5 10:25
How many people have to gift her with your classmates?
If if were other classmate purchase, please try to talk to them.
If you are if female, flowers (bouquet) is to feel like safe choice.
If you know her favorite color, you can order a bouquet of the color in the flower shop.
Budget around 1000 yen to 3000 yen.
But that's gifts from men, it might be a little misunderstanding.
If she likes sweets, might be good also, such as luxury chocolate and sweets such as GODIVA.
Maybe, watch people who use recently is running low.
Since the pen also do not know is her favorite, do not know what she is like.
Too high price, she might think that must give back.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread