Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Docomo free wifi for visitors 2015/1/16 13:27
Hi, I stumbled across this Docomo website that was launched just last September. It's the cheapest at 1300 yen for 3 weeks.

May I know who has used it before and is it very easy to find a hotspot to connect to? I don't want to have to keep searching for one across Tokyo, Hakone, Osaka, Kyoto and Nara.

Please share your experiences, thanks!
by bebegurl  

Re: Docomo free wifi for visitors 2015/1/17 09:24
I have never used it, but it seems that whenever I look at the list of available networks, there is one of those. I think you will be fine.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo free wifi for visitors 2015/1/17 16:16
Hi firas, thanks.. Ok I will take a leap of faith! :)
by bebegurl rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo free wifi for visitors 2015/1/17 18:45
Please check this website. This help you a lot.

http://flets.com/freewifi/spot.html
by Sitti01 rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo free wifi for visitors 2015/1/17 22:20
Your post is very confusing, the main title is about free wifi, and within your post you stated you have to pay for it.

if you hold a visitors visa you can get free 14 days wifi, not too sure if you can get another once the 14 days is over, you can get the key code from location listed in the site, or just download a app called TABIMORI.

does not cover Osaka or nara.

http://flets.com/freewifi/card.html
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo free wifi for visitors 2015/1/19 10:03
The free one is useless. I got the password in Nagano to use in Nagano and Tokyo. Never able to use on the move as so spotty hot spots.
I hope they expand more, if they truly want to offer for the tourists.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo free wifi for visitors 2015/1/19 10:50
Just FYI, free wifi in general may not be very useful on the move as you'll have to a)find a wifi spot and b)stay fairly close to it to be connected.

The flets free wifi is also fairly limited. There are only a couple hundred spots in Tokyo and just two in Nagano in for example.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo free wifi for visitors 2015/1/19 14:23
Hi all, thanks for your comments!

It's the name for Docomo's "free wifi".. But you have to pay which I have stated above!

Anyway I have paid for it so I will let you know if it's helpful! They boast of over 150,000 hotspots in Japan..

Re: Docomo free wifi for visitors 2015/1/23 00:10
This paid wifi shucks so far.. I only managed to log in Haneda and that's it! Can't log in at Hakone or Shinjuku. Doubt the trial will continue after March.

Re: Docomo free wifi for visitors 2015/1/23 08:56
Rent a pocket wifi. Its the only thing that works well and is reasonably priced and you have the added benefit that it is good almost anywhere you go.

"Free Wifi" in Japan is almost always only for customers of their phone systems. IMHO the term "free wifi" there is generally a joke. (and NO, I don't find having to sit in some hotel lobby to use free wifi as acceptable and the entire point of the discussion would seem to be that you are NOT in your room when wanting to use wifi).
by basketcase rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo free wifi for visitors 2015/1/23 10:39
https://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/service/data/docomo_wifi/area/owner/index....
In Tokyo, you can use it in 7-11, LAWSON, subway and some cafe like starbucks, TULLY's, PRONT, First-Kitchen...
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo free wifi for visitors 2015/1/23 14:39
This paid wifi shucks so far.. I only managed to log in Haneda and that's it! Can't log in at Hakone or Shinjuku.

Can you describe the difficulty you are having? Are you able to see the wifi spots (docomo or 0000docomo) but can't connect? Keep in mind that the password varies depending on which network you are connected to. Or are you not picking up spots at all? Note that Shinjuku should have tons, but Hakone only has a handful and they're mostly found at convenience stores.

Also, there seems to be some confusion on the service that the OP is presumably using, which is the paid "Docomo Wifi for Visitors":
http://visitor.docomowifi.com/en/

Ntt East's Free Wifi Japan that some people seem to be referring to is a different, much more limited service:
http://flets.com/freewifi/spot.html

Re: Docomo free wifi for visitors 2015/1/24 09:22
Basketcase, what are you talking about? Maybe you should read up on Docomo's wifi first AND I paid for it FYI.

Re: Docomo free wifi for visitors 2015/1/24 09:28
Thanks ajapaneseboy.

Yllwsmrf, thanks for clarifying as some people don't seem to get it. Anyway, I checked my phone many times in Shinjuku but it's always out of range. I have given up checking haha. Think I will stick with the bmobile sim card the next time round. It worked perfectly.

Re: Docomo free wifi for visitors 2015/1/26 12:05
Wifi services like Docomo wifi do not have dense enough networks to be able to easily find them on the move, so using them effectively means knowing where the hotspots are (like at convenience stores) and going to them when you need internet. That's a big downside to most people, however the upside is the cheap cost.

Sounds like you'd be happier with mobile internet like a portable wifi hotspot or sim card rather than a wifi service.

reply to this thread