Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question on how consumption tax works 2015/1/27 18:30
Hi all,

I am going to Tokyo next week and have a quick question regarding consumption tax.

Im I right to assume that as long as I spent more than 10,000 yen I get 8% off of all my items? So what I mean is that do they take the tax off at my total price?

Thanks a million.
by Patrick (guest)  

Re: Question on how consumption tax works 2015/1/27 18:38
It's actually a little bit more complicated than that. First you have to be shopping in an authorized tax free store. They'll usually have very visible signs, but it doesn't hurt to ask the sales person. Then you'll have to be purchasing eligible items.

Now if they include tax on the price tags, you'll have to spend more than 10,800 yen (or 5,400 for certain items) to receive a tax discount. Otherwise, if they don't add in tax then you'll just need to spend 10,000 yen (or 5,000 yen).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Question on how consumption tax works 2015/1/27 19:00
You can be duty free if you purchase goods not under the consumption categories such as clothing, bags, electric appliances over 10,0001 Yen.
Non-duty free categories are such as food, cosmetics, drink, medicine, batteries & films.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Question on how consumption tax works 2015/1/27 19:02
if you export items from Japan, the consumption tax will not be charged.
you have to bring items out of Japan.
therefore, if you spend money for accommodation, transportation, and eating etc., the taxes are charged.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question on how consumption tax works 2015/1/27 19:08
cosmetics is OK, duty free at least. I think there is almost no regulation for items.
you have to buy items at shops where staffs can process paperworks.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question on how consumption tax works 2015/1/27 21:25
I think food (Gift items) item also has tax free, you need to spend over 5000 yen before tax, but you will have to ask the shop if they provide tax free.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Question on how consumption tax works 2015/1/27 22:44
Thanks for the replies. Very informative. I am more looking at purchasing electronics so far I know Yodobashi and Bic Camera are some of the main big department stores that do duty free shopping.
by Patrick (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question on how consumption tax works 2015/1/27 22:49
My info was wrong, you can be tax free consumption categories include food and cosmetics between 5001 and 500,000 Yen per person, per day, per store at duty free stores from Oct 1 2014. Take your passport to the store's duty free section.
Non-consumption categories include clothing and electric appliances are tax free over 10,0001 Yen at duty free stores per day, per person.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Question on how consumption tax works 2015/1/27 23:50
Although it has been stated that electronic stuff are tax free if over 10000 yen before tax, some product are excluded, the shop has the final say on what can be tax free.

I remember buying a headphone from one of those large tax free department store from aki costing 28000 yen, they would not allow tax free, so instead I used a union pay card and got 5%, better than nothing.

I also got a headphone from a small shop that didn't advertise tax free, it cost 16000 yen, they knew I was a tourist and gave me 2000 yen off, and tax free on top, went back a year later and see what I can pick up, but they closed down.

Always ask the shop for tax free even if they have no poster stating it, who know they might not have tax free but to get business, they might give you a discount.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread