Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/2 22:51
I Always thought of shoes as the most important item in a person's image.
However due to the removing shoes culture in Japan it looks to me like shoes are just a tool to walk outdoors to end lined up at an entry hall with Others.
Back in Europe I used to spend a lot of money in fashionable shoes but since I moved to Japan I feel like wearing crocs all day.
It affects a lot my self-esteem.
In fact I've seen many elegant businessmen with expensive suits and crocs at their feet. A true blow in the gut...
John
by John (guest)  

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/3 10:07
Some people think the same way as you, meaning, that shoes are the most important item in what a person wears. I don't know if it is because of the shoe removing culture or what, but many here do not feel that way.

But that doesn't mean you should "downgrade" your focus on shoes at all - people who are keenly aware of shoes WILL notice, so keep on wearing what you believe you should :) Yes, I admit I have seen those combinations to my disappointment...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/3 10:24
In Japan, Some people put money into shoes, some people not apply.
In the case of collectors,
Men tend to collect large amounts of sneakers, women tend to collect large amounts of high heels.
Japan also many people who do not emphasis the shoes about clothes.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/3 11:41
Only got two posts so far however I've got the Whole picture quite clear: shoes are a secondary "tool" in Japan, so sad...
As I thought...
From Tomorrow I'll check out all my beloved Prada shoes and wear sneakers only as Haro suggests.
I prefer that way rather than watching my shoes piled up in an onsen.
I have to look for other ways to boost my self-esteem.
Sorry guys, I might be experiencing some shock depression... hope it will go with time.
God bless.
John
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/3 12:10
Only got two posts so far however I've got the Whole picture quite clear: shoes are a secondary "tool" in Japan, so sad...

I'm not sure you read the posts correctly. There definitely is shoe culture in Japan and a subculture of fashion conscious people who spend a lot of time, money and effort on what they put on their feet. Perhaps you're not hanging out in the right places?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/3 12:56
Yeah, might well be...
I live in the countryside and locals here wear boots all the time to work in the fields.
So I have to leave my shoes at the entrance next to all their muddy boots!
Nothing against farmers, I just want to leave my shoes in a clean closet!
John
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/3 13:33
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Apart from yllwsmrf, what are you guys talking about?

Are overcoats taken lightly in Europe just because you take them off in the house? How about hats? Aren't proper European gentlemen supposed to take off the most fashionable item from his head when greeting people and entering meeting rooms?

In fact I've seen many elegant businessmen with expensive suits and crocs at their feet.

Don't you know that in the 80s, New Yorkers, men and women, used to wear sneakers while commuting in handsome suits, because it was thought to be better for your health? They'd change into leather shoes when meeting important people, of course. And today the "sophisticated" celebrities in the U.S. don't even wear leather, because they don't want to have animals killed.

Shoes and footwear including zouri and geta and what not share a huge culture in Japan. In particular, the beauty of footwear is when you take them off at the enterance. Some show really classy inners, and the way the wearer turns around to lay them neatly on the side is supposed to be another classy aspect of the footwear culture.

It's even difficult for me to find handsome shoes while traveling overseas, unless I spend a fortune on designers' brands. Meanwhile, in Japan there are pop shoes for teens, practical yet handsome shoes for the workers, great designs by the Collection brands, healthy yet smart shoes for people with feet problems, and many more.

Do you even know that foreign buyers come all the way to Japan to hunt sneakers? Have you even looked through the "best 15"?
http://form.allabout.co.jp/special/47/

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA...
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/3 14:32
"In fact I've seen many elegant businessmen with expensive suits and crocs at their feet. A true blow in the gut... "

I was born and bred in Japan, and have been living here all my life, yet I've never seen such a person i.e. wearing suits and crocs!
You said you are living in a countryside, it must be very deep coutryside where almost everyone is working in the field.

You should come to Tokyo and look at the people on the street, as well as many shoes shops and shoes section in department stores.

Some people around you do not represent the whole country.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/3 15:16
Now I get the picture. If you are in the countryside, that cannot be helped. I was assuming you were living in one of the bigger cities... (the first guest poster here...)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/3 15:17
Have you lived in other countries that your birthplace and Japan?

Traditionally country people do not wear fancy clothes and shoes because of their work, also because there are very few opportunities to dress well.

I was born in a European country where there are still aristocrats; Many of them live in a castle that has been in the family for several centuries.
They too wear plain clothes and sturdy shoes, rubber boots etc.

As a matter of fact, Queen Elizabeth II dress very very informally when she stays in Balmoral castle..or visit a horses'exhibition..

Being well dressed means dressing appropriately. If you live in a rural area and have to walk in country lanes, you don't dress up as if going to the opera..
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/3 15:30
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/3 15:35
Countryside and city is different.
If per Tokyo Omotesando, but will have a lot of people that wear Prada and Manolo Blahnik, there is a possibility that or is rumored to people if it is too fashionable in the countryside.
If Omotesando and Harajuku, and when it is not a maybe defintely strange shape, nobody cares.
If sneakers are a lot of people are wearing in the countryside.
NIKE and New Balance and Adidas ,etc also in the countryside in the city, are common.
However, it may be a little out of place become When's a very flashy colors.

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/3 16:12
The combination of Crocs to suit
Although less common in the case of commuting, are also such people in the company.
When wearing much leather shoes, or become sore foot, because the foot is steamy.
Now seems to be also such Crocs.
http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2137446045276648601

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/3 16:14
Red frog's posts never fail to make me smile, especially the last one.

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/4 13:05
Thanks guys! You've been all extremely helpful for my query.

Now I feel better knowing there is shoe culture in Japan!
Can't wait to show up with my Pradas in my next visit to Tokyo!
I do live in the wasteland about 200 miles from Tokyo because that's where my Japanese partner lives, not my choice sorry...
However Japanese country people are very warm hearted, I love them.
The shoes issue is just personal.
God save the Queen!!!
John
by john (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/17 19:06
John....."I Always thought of shoes as the most important item in a person's image" You really need to lighten up. You want to judge someone by what kind of shoes they wear? WOW!!!
Never travel to any small island country or anyplace in South East Asia. If you want to be the fashion police restrict your travel to big cities with a large fashion industry.
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/17 20:35
Hell no Daz!
I was raised Catholic!
Surely don't judge people by shoes.
It's just my personal issue.
I traveled several times to Thailand, Philippines, China and I was very happy to wear beach sandals there all day! But those places stay Always hot, makes sense.
by john (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/18 12:51
I sense a troll here, but John, don't wear your self-esteem in your shoes. Shoes always wear out...
by John Aswell (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/18 14:51
I've given up guessing who's trollin and not trollin anymore... just to many strange questions on this forum.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are shoes not fashionable in japan? 2015/2/18 16:19
Shoes always wear out...

That's precisely why the most fashionable people take importance in this most crafted item you wear, and precisely why people with less concern in fashion do not.

I don't know if this is a troll or not, but I do have met people asking the same question as the original post of this thread.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

reply to this thread