Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

kanazawa or takayama? 2015/2/3 05:23
Hello,
We are planning a 13 days trio to Japan. We are wondering about going to Kanazawa or Takayama because we have one free night between Kyoto and Tokyo. Considering the distances and the places what do you suggest?
Thanks in advance.
by ana.portugal (guest)  

Re: kanazawa or takayama? 2015/2/3 11:15
When will you be travelling?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa or takayama? 2015/2/3 11:36
Staring from March 14, there will be a shinkansen between Tokyo and Kanazawa, which will shorten travel times to the city a lot. Takayama will remain more time-consuming to access.

As for which city is more interesting, it depends on the person.

More about Takayama (87% user rating):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5900.html

More about Kanazawa (84% user rating):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2167.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa or takayama? 2015/2/3 11:42
I would go to Kanazawa in a heart beat. Great fish market, one of the top 3 gardens in all Japan, a cool castle, and a nice view of the coast.
by Ric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa or takayama? 2015/2/3 12:26
Kanazawa definetly
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa or takayama? 2015/2/3 13:19
Not wanting to be controversial, but neither for me. I love Takayama and like Kanazawa. The trip to Takayama would give you spectacular views of the mountains and countryside, but it is too long and fussy to get there and back to Tokyo. The trip to Kanazawa is a bit meh on the Thunderbird, but aside from the garden Kanazawa is a bit of a let down after Kyoto, IMO.

Personally, I'd opt for somewhere like Matsumoto (take the trip through Kiso Valley to get there - the town isn't that great save for the castle but it is an easy trip back to Tokyo the next day), or Kamakura/Enoshima (short trip back to Tokyo). Or maybe Hikone, which is underrated IMO and handy to the shinkansen line.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa or takayama? 2015/2/3 15:10
Kanazawa definitely. Especially with the new Shinkansen cutting travel times.
When are you going???
Kenrokuen is wonderful: a new vista around every corner: we find new hidden gems every time, and wefve been 5 times now.
Also wonderful: the Kanazawa Loop Bus: gets you everywhere for 500yen a day.
21st Century Museum at the lower end of Kenrokuen is fantastic, and then the walk down from there to the Running Legs sculpture is full of great window shopping for Kanazawa crafts.
The Geisha area is lovely, esp around sunset, and quieter than Gion/Pontoncho in Kyoto: very authentic. The Geisha houses that also function as small museums are great.
Good little bar along there too.
We really enjoyed the nearby Gold leaf shop and on site explanations.
The Samurai Area and Nomura House are also well worth the effort: iconic.
Food in Kanazawa is something else as well. And there is Omicho market
Enjoy!!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa or takayama? 2015/2/4 07:58
thank you all for your tips!!

I am going in may so it would be possible to take the new line - kanazawa- tokyo. Do you know if it would be covered by Jr pass?
by ana.portugal (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa or takayama? 2015/2/4 09:59
It is covered by the JR Pass. Look at the front page on Japan Guide. There was an article there
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa or takayama? 2015/2/4 20:33
In spite of Takayama's higher rating, I have to agree that Kanazawa is more interesting than Takayama.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa or takayama? 2015/2/4 22:53
Although, arguably, if you only have one day to spare, and are travelling to/from Tokyo/Kyoto in order to get there, it might make sense to go to neither place as it simply takes too much time to get there and back.

by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa or takayama? 2015/2/5 05:10
I have one free night between Kyoto and Tokyo. I can go from Kyoto early in the morning and go to Tokyo the day before... It would be one entire day.
by ana.portugal (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa or takayama? 2015/2/5 11:43
I recommend also Kanazawa. In addition to what have already been mentioned, don't miss Ninja-dera (ask your lodging to call them and reserve for you), the visit is only in Japanese but they will provide you with a booklet with some explanations in English and the visit is totally worthy. If your are interested in crafts, the Ishikawa Prefectural Museum of Traditional Arts and Crafts, close to Kenrokuen, is a must.
Takayama is quite beatiful, but there is more to do and see in Kanazawa.
by Okazaky rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa or takayama? 2015/2/5 13:23
I have not been to kanazawa but had visited Takayama and its surrounding - Shirakawa-go and find it is one of the most beautiful place to visit. The trip is worth it as we travel from Osaka and stay one night in Takayama.
by ElbertPoh rate this post as useful

reply to this thread