Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Temiyage ideas? 2015/2/6 11:08
I've started accumulating (nonperishable) temiyage of the "inconsequential trinket" variety and was wondering if any of these would "come across wrong": bandanas (including firefighters' bandanas), cloisonne or enamel pins (ditto), lanyards for IDs (used there?), and Citra citrus straws. For ladies, thinking about small luxury soaps (nice or insulting?) and/or lipsticks. Is it "bad" to repackage (still individually-wrapped) items to make an assortment, as long as there aren't 4 or 9 items total? Also taking fancy organza gift vags and "favor boxes" that will pack flat.
by Anonymous (guest)  

Re: Temiyage ideas? 2015/2/6 18:52
Frankly, I'm having a problem understanding what most of them are, but they seem harmless to me.

I suppose "firefighters'" means that it has something to do with firemen. They are always the heroes.

"Lanyards for IDs", is that to hang around your neck? If so, the people who need it have them provided by the ID issuers. If you mean tiny "straps" that you can put on your mobile phones, they're the most typical souveniors you can get and sounds safe.

"Citra citrus straws", I Googled that. Quite interesting.

"Small luxury soaps", if you're a guy and the soaps are for your body, it's a little risky. If they're meant to be for your hands, that's nice.

"Lipsticks", if you're a guy, not unless they're funny lipsticks or not unless you're her boyfriend. I can take it if you're gay.

Is it "bad" to repackage

Not at all.

Also taking fancy organza gift vags and "favor boxes" that will pack flat.

Assuming you're talking about wrapping material, that sounds fine.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temiyage ideas? 2015/2/6 23:04
This is the OP. Thank you! Yes, I got several types of bandanas -- two styles in "patriotic" (unisex), firefighters (guys), and a pastel "cupcakes/sweets" print for girls. They're versatile and can be used as a gift OR as wrap, furoshiki-style.
by Anonymous (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temiyage ideas? 2015/2/6 23:19
Are you an American? Personally I would not give away any "patriotic" theme goods. If you are a firefighter, fine, you have a story you can tell; if you can a story behind the designs in enamel pins, fine (like any motif from the state you are from, etc.). Lanyards, people tend to get them either from their employers or whatever sport teams they like.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temiyage ideas? 2015/2/7 04:01
Yes, I'm American. Fortunately there are hundreds and hundreds of American-flag-theme bandana designs out there.

Re: Temiyage ideas? 2015/2/7 15:58
I don't see anything particularly wrong with giving Stars-and-Stripes themed gifts to people in Japan as long as they aren't military-related. The Stars-and-Stripes are quite a basic design and very different from giving away Japanese flag design products.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temiyage ideas? 2015/2/8 01:29
OP again. Exactly--they don't say "USA #1" or anything I believe has any potential to be offensive. Chose firefighters 'cause I hear they're a big deal over there? Chose *not* to go with American flag pins or "friendship pins" because probably everyone in the tourist industry has a pile of those already. Perishables/edibles will have to
wait 'cause it's going to take a year or two to save up for the trip, barring an unexpected windfall.

Re: Temiyage ideas? 2015/2/8 01:50
I tend to think you're putting the cart in front of the horse here! Save for the trip, then buy the trinkets! lol

Are these for people you know or for chance encounters?
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Temiyage ideas? 2015/2/9 00:44
Chance. Yes, I'm not only counting my chickens before they hatch, I'm busy candling the eggs!

reply to this thread