Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yen to dollar exchange rate in Tokyo 2015/2/11 19:05
what is the rate for dollar to yen in tokyo?
by jeanette (guest)  

Re: Yen to dollar exchange rate in Tokyo 2015/2/11 19:59
cannot say, it's always changing.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yen to dollar exchange rate in Tokyo 2015/2/11 22:01
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Yen to dollar exchange rate in Tokyo 2015/2/11 22:30
Must say that I can get better rates in the UK for GBP than at the airport, per that link.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yen to dollar exchange rate in Tokyo 2015/2/12 03:34
But not likely in America, so that's why I post it. It's a reference.

Re: Yen to dollar exchange rate in Tokyo 2015/2/12 04:19
I understand, John. US folk often say changing cash at Narita is a good deal. I guess we may have more Yen in the UK?
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Yen to dollar exchange rate in Tokyo 2015/2/12 04:31
US banks are generally greedy, so they probably take higher exchange fees. I can get better rates here for EUR as well.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Yen to dollar exchange rate in Tokyo 2015/2/12 05:26
Firas is correct. They are greedy. When the Narita exchange rate was 114.50, Citibank was 109.75 and BoA was 110.03 per USD. And for some reason, the US has an astounding amount of 2000yen notes. They must have proven totally unpopular in Japan and they shipped them all overseas. The first three years I exchanged yen in the States, nearly half of my yen were in 2000yen notes. They were totally impractical and the Post Office across the street from Tokyo Station nearly interrogated me as to why I'd have so many bills; they must have thought I was laundering money!

Re: Yen to dollar exchange rate in Tokyo 2015/2/12 06:30
The yen is very good in Hong Kong, it's like HKD 650 to YEN 10000, 2013 it was HKD 770 to YEN 10000, 2010 it was HKD 1000 to YEN 10000

I wish I could get hold of those 2000 YEN notes, I've been asking for them like every year, and they only have 1000 YEN notes and 10000 YEN notes.

reading through this forum, I think it has been said that exchanging YEN from USD in Japan has better rate.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Yen to dollar exchange rate in Tokyo 2015/2/12 06:37
Assuming you mean US dollars (and not one of the many other dollar currencies), the mid-rate is 120 yen to the dollar. If you are in Tokyo, look for a bank that is advertising something within a couple of percent of this. (the other way to tell is look at the difference between the buy and sell prices - if it's 10%, you know you'll get ripped.

Airports and other countries have different ideas on how much to charge, with some places taking 5% or more.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Yen to dollar exchange rate in Tokyo 2015/2/12 07:08
Unless you are using one of the big banks with rip-off fees, just use your ATM card:

http://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/en/ias/en_ias_index.html
http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/card2.html

It's quick, easy, & good exchange rate.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yen to dollar exchange rate in Tokyo 2015/2/12 07:11
does this refer to both ATM cards and credit cards.

thanks
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread