Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JAL carryon under seat storage 2015/2/13 04:52
I will be flying with Japan Airlines. I plan to bring a carryon with my laptop, camera, and camera lens in it because I do not want it to be placed in my luggage. I am afraid it will brake if in my luggage.

My question is what size of carryon fits underneath the seats? I do not want to place my carryon in the overhead compartment because last time I did that, all the other bags crush mine and thus a piece of camera equipment was broken. It wasn't expensive, but I just do not want to risk it again.

I want to purchase a carryon that will fit under the seat this time.
by Suramongkol (guest)  

Re: JAL carryon under seat storage 2015/2/13 10:29
Probably depends on the plane model. A standard backpack definitely fits, and may be enough for what you want to bring.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JAL carryon under seat storage 2015/2/16 03:43
Frisal, thank you.

I am worried for a couple reasons. The past two airlines I've flown with listed their carry on sizes online. The size listed is for the overhead compartment and not under the seats. I understand that. I made sure my carry on met the requirements, but when I got on the flight, the carry on didn't even fit in the compartment. It was WAY too large for the compartment! Even though the website and the check-in clerk said it would fit! I want to make sure if it doesn't fit under the seat it at least fits in the overhead compartment.

The carry on requirements on JAL's website state:
W22in.~H16in.~D10in

I have a couple carry ons, but the one I want to use was a little larger:
W18in.xH6in.xD13in.

However, the bag can easily bend and fold on the top. I can easily bend it to be D13in. to D10in. or less.

The type of plane is a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner if that makes any difference regarding compartment sizes.
by Suramongkol (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JAL carryon under seat storage 2015/2/16 07:02
Try this site to get more info on the plane:
seatguru.com

I flew JAL last year but don't think it was a 787....I had a fairly small carryon to put above, and another tote bag that I put under my seat....no problems

by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: JAL carryon under seat storage 2015/2/16 08:00
Maranyc, if you left out of JFK on JL003, then it was a B787-846. If you left on JL005 then it's B777-346ER. Depending on the class, the space under the seat can be a little tight. I fly Premium Economy on the 777 and there isn't much space underneath the chair, but that's because there is an extra foot rest that economy class doesn't have.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: JAL carryon under seat storage 2015/2/16 08:29
John B - I really don't think it was a 787 last March - that's the new plane, Dreamliner, right?

I would have noticed....maybe...lol...

I wasn't in Premium Economy so there was room under the seat in front of me....;-)

It was my first time on JAL and I did like all the Japanese movies - saw four of them....and the food was pretty good...
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Have you tried calling or emailing JAL? 2015/2/16 08:46
Underseat room is entirely dependent on both the aircraft type and the seat number.
Some seats will have the AV box or other equipment under then which will reduce space.
The dimensions the airline give you for carry on are not a guide as to what fits in their overhead compartments, it is the LIMIT of what they allow. It has very little to do with what will fit (though all legal carry ons will fit in long haul aircraft o/h compartments). If you go over these dimensions, which include handle and wheels, you risk the airline forcing you to check your bag on check-in or at the gate. It sounds like this not a good option for you to risk as electronics and expensive items are not covered for damage in checked baggage.

Also not that seat guru is pretty hit and miss for non-NA airlines. With information listed being outdated or simply wrong. Have tried calling or emailing JAL?
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JAL carryon under seat storage 2015/2/16 10:40
I flew on a JAL Dreamliner last year. If that's your dimension for your carry-on, then you might have trouble fitting it underneath the seat. My handbag that I took with me and put it underneath seat had these dimensions:

10.5" height x 12.75" width x 5" depth

It fit all of my bag but left me barely any space to fit my feet.

This Economy but if you're in Premium Economy then you'll have better luck.
by yozakura (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread