Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Local trains 2015/2/14 01:08
Hi everyone,

I came across this post (http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/11/07/sit-back-and-enjoy-the-journey-j...) and decided to do 8 of these rides for my upcoming trip to Japan.

The problem is many sites are only in Japanese and, given my level, it's really hard to understand if they need to be booked in advance or not.

Do you guys know any website in English I could use to help me figure it out please? (I tried Google Translation, it's meh...)

Thanks!
by Ghis (guest)  

Re: Local trains 2015/2/14 09:56
Hyperdia.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Local trains 2015/2/14 10:07
By the way, most of this article actually refers to rapid (快速) trains and not local (普通) ones. Number 1 for example refers to the Resort Shirakami, which is a rapid train running (mostly) on the Gono line.

Re: Local trains 2015/2/14 12:21
Use googlechrome and it includes auto translate - gets you through 99% of websites and languages.

But, use "hyperdia" it is very good.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Local trains 2015/2/14 16:13
8? Which 2 lines deleted?

Learn at wiki(English page) fasteset than google seaech and translate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_railway_companies_in_Japan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_railway_lines_in_Japan

Bacically all 10 photos are not same season records and best season is not always.
You'll be a whole year tralveler?
by iRam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Local trains 2015/2/14 20:01
@Firas, I didn't know how to label my thread so I chose local trains but they're not really, sorry about the confusion!

@all, I know about Hyperdia, I use it a lot, thanks.

@iRam, I'm traveling for 3 weeks all around Japan. I'm not going to Kumamoto, Kyoto or Hokkaido (too far) but I'm doing all the other ones mentioned on the page.

I guess I'll try to use Google Chrome for the different websites. It doesn't always work though because some of them use pictures with text :/

I was just wondering if you guys knew any travel website with information on these trains.

Thanks,
by Ghis (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Local trains 2015/2/15 01:01
What kind of "information" do you want? Hyperdia has all the timetables and fares.

Re: Local trains 2015/2/15 01:24
@Firas, I'm trying to figure out which ones need to be booked in advance. So far, only one has a form in English for that.

Since I'm gonna be traveling all the way there for these, I need to make sure I'll be able to board these trains :)

Thanks for your help.
by Ghis (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Local trains 2015/2/15 01:35
Just look on Hyperdia, it displays all the reserved and non-reserved options for a particular train in the "seat fee" column. If only "reserved" is displayed, it means it needs to be booked. If nothing at all is displayed in this column, it means it's a regular commuter train, where it is not even possible to book in advance anyway.

reply to this thread