Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shikoku henro in autumn? 2015/2/15 00:20
Hi,
Seems most of the Shikoku henro pilgrimages take place during late March-early May, which is understandable due to the heat and rain of Japanese summer.

However, I was thinking of doing it during autumn months (early/mid October-late November/early December).

Would it be less crowded? Is it like mt Fuji where many accomodations is closed or uncommon after season?

Would I miss something out (except the crowds) going in autumn and not in spring?

I would not mind less crowded but if it would be totally deserted maybe it would feel scary, meaning if something (earthquake, injury) would occur.
by Senmon (guest)  

Re: Shikoku henro in autumn? 2015/2/15 12:51
Shikoku is normally quiet, because few people go there. It's nice though - have been to Takamatsu (twice) and Uwajima once - it's a bit different to Honshu.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku henro in autumn? 2015/2/16 20:12
How come the spring is more popoular with pilgrimage than autumn? Is it any weather difference somehow?
by Senmon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku henro in autumn? 2015/2/16 20:18
I believe that Oct. - Nov. would be equally popular... now looking up some websites, maybe because the famous monk, Kobo Daishi, passed away in spring, and maybe spring sounds like the season to start new things, more people might get the idea to go in spring :) December will be less crowded for sure - just be mindful of the sunset time.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku henro in autumn? 2015/2/16 21:06
It may also be easier to sell tour packages with cherry blossoms in the mix, but there are plenty of pilgrimage buses traveling about Shikoku all year round.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku henro in autumn? 2015/2/16 21:55
It's still possible to do the pilgrimage in the autumn. The spring is more popular because there is no risk of typhoons which can hit here all through the summer and fall. If you do come in the fall, just keep up to date on the weather and hunker down if a typhoon does hit.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku henro in autumn? 2015/2/18 17:21
Spring is probably more of an expectation thing - looking forward to the warmer weather. But cherry blossom is more fleeting. Autumn leaf viewing is a bit more consistent and lasts longer. Just a different and suiting different tastes.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread