Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR train reservations during Cherry Blossom 2015/2/16 07:48
Greetings again, I was wondering how exactly does the reservation system works for Shinkansen and other long distance lines? I do not recall seeing much about it other than they are done at Midouri no Madagochi or equivalent booths.

Do we show up with the pass and tell them what day, approximate time of the day and line to be used? Also, can users choose the seat - window vs. aisle, you know, there is the possibility I will be travelling alone and window seats are always neat. ;)

Anyway, our main worry is finding reserved seats during the Cherry Bloom season. I heard they tend to get pretty full then. We will likely start our trip in Kansai, and travel accross the country, and I pretend to activate the 21 day pass one day before heading out to Hiroshima and beyond. Are chances of our trains being full high? What about Green Cars? I heard they get crowded less quickly, so we might consider paying a little more for the added convenience and peace of mind, if that is the case.

Worst case scenario we might move the trip to late February and early March (next year), depending on the advice we receive, though then we will be missing the Cherry Blossoms. Best case scenario we might even activate the pass just on the day we start heading out (to give a day in Takayama or Tohoku).

Thanks in advance!
by Sannomiya  

Re: JR train reservations during Cherry Blossom 2015/2/16 10:05
I was wondering how exactly does the reservation system works for Shinkansen and other long distance lines?

It is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2016.html

Do we show up with the pass and tell them what day, approximate time of the day and line to be used?

Preferably you point out a specific train.

Also, can users choose the seat - window vs. aisle, you know, there is the possibility

Yes.

Anyway, our main worry is finding reserved seats during the Cherry Bloom season. I heard they tend to get pretty full then.

Not really. It doesn't get extreme. If you make reservations a few hours in advance, you should usually be able to make reservations. Even better if you make them a day in advance. Often you can do them even just before departure.

There are certain times of the day and week when the trains are more busy. Generally mornings in direction of Osaka and evenings in direction of Tokyo.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR train reservations during Cherry Blossom 2015/2/17 02:01
Thanks. It seems that any given Shinkansen trains can be reserved anywhere. Is that the same case for limited express non Shinkansen JR trains? Reserving such trains in day 1 of the pass in Kansai would be nice, rather than having to get to, say Hakata, and only then be able to reserve seats to Nagasaki.

Speaking of which, I assume that you can only reserve the seats for free with the actual pass, and not the voucher or otherwise anytime before activating it?
by Sannomiya rate this post as useful

Re: JR train reservations during Cherry Blossom 2015/2/17 06:01
I would exchange the voucher as soon as you arrive in Japan, where possible and then tell them when you want to start using it. That way, you can reserve any train you wish within the validity period before the pass is actually valid.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: JR train reservations during Cherry Blossom 2015/2/17 06:55
Ah, neat, so the pass does not necessarily have to start on the same day it is obtained.

According to your suggestion, I am assuming we are able to reserve trains in advance without paying as long as they fall within the "free period" covered by the pass?

If so, that is great, I have a week or so in Kansai before I actually start heading out to other places in Japan. :)

Re: JR train reservations during Cherry Blossom 2015/2/17 06:58
Sorry for double post, I do not seem to be able to edit past posts; by "in advance" I meant whether we are able to reserve seats before the start date of pass or not.

Re: JR train reservations during Cherry Blossom 2015/2/17 07:33
If you are absolutely sure of which trains you wish to take, it would be helpful to the attendant if you were to provide a list of the trains you wish to use. If you can provide the:
DATE
TRAIN NAME and NUMBER
FROM station
TO station and if you wish to seat on a particular side.

I'm sure that would make the process much easier and the attendant at the ticket counter will appreciate your preparedness. On the ones you're unsure when you'll be boarding (time or date) or you know won't be a problem, you can reserve them as you go.

Also, if you have a long list and you see there is quite a queue for tickets, please be considerate and don't take up too much of the attendant's time.

Re: JR train reservations during Cherry Blossom 2015/2/17 08:42
It seems that any given Shinkansen trains can be reserved anywhere. Is that the same case for limited express non Shinkansen JR trains?

Yes. You can make reservations all the way to Nagasaki at Kansai Airport or at any other JR ticket counter in Japan.

Speaking of which, I assume that you can only reserve the seats for free with the actual pass, and not the voucher or otherwise anytime before activating it?

Yes, as others have explained, you can make free reservations as soon as you have exchanged the voucher to the pass. And that can be several days before the starting date of the pass' validity.

According to your suggestion, I am assuming we are able to reserve trains in advance without paying as long as they fall within the "free period" covered by the pass?

That's right.

Re: JR train reservations during Cherry Blossom 2015/2/17 10:53
Thank you very much John and Uji! Very appreciated.

Re: JR train reservations during Cherry Blossom 2015/2/17 12:19
My family roll their eyes at my organisation, lol
BUT
I always have a printed list of all trains (Shinkansens and Limited Express) we plan to use with me when we arrive in Japan.
I have day and date, train name, number, and time : all of which is available to find on Hyperdia.
If it changes while we are there then I make sure to have space on the list to cross out and write by hand
I only ever reserve what we need for the first day when we exchange our passes, as otherwise we would hold up the long line waiting to exchange passes.
Then, at various stages throughout our trip, we reserve what we need for a few days in advance.
I try to use major stations eg Osaka or Shinagawa with many staff at the counters so again, we donft take up too much time for those behind us (Kyoto station is rather understaffed IMHO)
So essentially being reasonably organised when you go to reserve seats saves time, and avoids stress for all concerned.
Good luck!!!

by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: JR train reservations during Cherry Blossom 2015/2/17 12:21
TRAIN NAME and NUMBER

In my experience, giving the train name and number is useless since the clerk will make you confirm the departure and arrival times anyway before printing the ticket, so I just give the times instead.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR train reservations during Cherry Blossom 2015/2/17 12:29
I have NEVER given the time and ALWAYS given the train and number and have never run into any questions about times....

Re: JR train reservations during Cherry Blossom 2015/2/17 12:36
I think giving train name and number will make it a little bit easier and faster for the ticket counter staff to process the request.

Re: JR train reservations during Cherry Blossom 2015/2/18 08:55
If you know the train number, date, and time then yes you can reserve all the trains that you need. Saves some time, however if you must miss a train that you had reserved and you know you are going to miss it because of plans change, it is recommended to hand over the reserve tickets back to the staff where you reserve your train tickets so they can cancel your seats and someone else can use them.

Hope this helps!!!

Have Fun!!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

reply to this thread