Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Money Exchange at Haneda or Itami? 2015/2/16 21:48
Hello everyone!
Please,ILve got a question:
ILll be arriving at Haneda Airport and after then ILll transfer for Itami Airport.
ILll need to change euros (cash)
Are there " Exchanges" in the transfer area at Haneda Airport? or only outside? Because I wonLt have time to go out to change money and to pass again the controls !
Are the exchanges rates at both airports generally the same?
Are the exchange rates at the Post Offices in Japan generally the best?
If "not", where?
Thanks for any advice!

by Chelote  

Re: Money Exchange at Haneda or Itami? 2015/2/17 11:12
There is no "transfer area" between international and domestic flights at Haneda, since they are in different terminals. You have to go to the arrival lobby of the international terminal like everybody else, and proceed to the domestic terminal. There are currency exchange offices (among other services) in the arrival lobby.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Money Exchange at Haneda or Itami? 2015/2/17 11:20
You may find this page helpful, by the way: http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/en/dept/int_dms.html

Re: Money Exchange at Haneda or Itami? 2015/2/17 16:32
Hello Firas and thanks very much indeed for your kindly information.
Just to make clear: according what you explain I understand that arriving at Haneda ILll first have to pass customs check? and then to go to the domestic departure for my connecting fligt to Itami?
Do I have to colect my baggages before my flight to Itami?
ThatLs for me not so clear! because ILl be taking a "connecting flight"at Haneda and normally I should not pass customs check!?, right or wrong?
Thanks again for your Information!
by Chelote rate this post as useful

Re: Money Exchange at Haneda or Itami? 2015/2/17 16:41
In Japan like in most other countries, you have to go through customs at the same time you go through immigration, when you first enter the country. So you will do this at Haneda. The link above seems to suggest that you will need to collect your luggage, but you may want to confirm this with your airline.

Re: Money Exchange at Haneda or Itami? 2015/2/17 22:31
Baggage is usually checked through to your final destination IF your final destination is the international one. If you first take a domestic flight and then your international flight, then your baggage is checked through to the end.

If you take a JAL flight from Sapporo to Narita and then to Los Angeles, you'll need to grab your luggage at Los Angeles. If you take a flight from Los Angeles to Narita and then onto Sapporo, then you pick up your luggage at Narita and then check it in at the domestic desk at Narita for your flight to Sapporo.

Baggage must be retrieved when you first arrive at an international airport.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Money Exchange at Haneda or Itami? 2015/2/18 17:12
Last time I checked airport exchange rates (yesterday at Narita) the usual exchange places were still ripping of queuse of travelers between 5% and 10% of the value of their currency.

Go anywhere else and you'll probably do better - money exchange isn't hard. Even doing it at your local bank before leaving home might be better value, or using an ATM.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Money Exchange at Haneda or Itami? 2015/2/18 22:19
JapanCustomTours, that totally depends on your country. In the US, for example, when the official rate is 119/$1, the Narita rate is roughly 116/$1 and the US Banks is 110/$1. It's the US banks that rip you off. I've always gotten better rates at Narita than ANYWHERE else. However, I've heard GBP-JPY is better in Britain than Japan, so it all depends on the country.

Re: Money Exchange at Haneda or Itami? 2015/2/19 08:07
USD us possibly the only currency where the spreads are not too terrible, but I wasn't assuming that USD were required. I also noticed of the three exchange businesses at terminal 1 I looked at the rates varied quite a bit. (euro and GBP were not very good, Aussie dollar rates were silly).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Money Exchange at Haneda or Itami? 2015/2/19 08:29
It's usually better with T/Cs as they're not required to handle the physical bills. And some currencies aren't too attractive to some banks, hence the outrageous exchange rates.

reply to this thread