Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help with itinerary and rail pass please 2015/2/18 02:28

Hi all,

My husband and I (in our 40s) are travelling to Japan in April for the first time and would welcome advice. We are staying in Tokyo and Kyoto but would like to do several day trips from each (Nara, Himeji, Osaka, Kamakura, and any others you recommend). Our accommodation dates are fixed, though would happily pay for a night's accommodation elsewhere during our stay if there's something we shouldn't miss. We generally don't like fitting too much into holidays as we like a balance between seeing things and enjoying the atmosphere/ food/ people watching.
Our itinerary at the moment is:

Fri 17 Apr: Tokyo Haneda arrive 07:20 - staying in Shinjuku
Sat 18 Apr: Tokyo (afternoon tour)
Sun 19 Apr: Tokyo (evening tour)
Mon 20 Apr: Tokyo
Tues 21 Apr: Tokyo (Kamakura tour)
Wed 22 Apr: to Kyoto (Himeji Castle/ Osaka)
Thur 23 Apr: Kyoto
Fri 24 Apr: Kyoto
Sat 25 Apr: Kyoto
Sun 26 Apr: Kyoto
Mon 27 Apr: to Tokyo (Himeji Castle/Osaka)
Tues 28 Apr: Tokyo (Nara day trip)
Wed 29 Apr: Tokyo
Thur 30 Apr: Tokyo
Fri 1 May: Tokyo flight from Narita 1050

My main questions are:
- we're planning to forward our luggage and visit Himeji and Osaka on the days we are moving between Tokyo and Kyoto- is this sensible?
- We were considering getting a 7 day JR Pass for 22 April - 28th (with maybe the 28th in Nara) - any thoughts / better options?
- will booking seats between Tokyo and Kyoto be difficult at this time?

We'd be grateful for any thoughts.
by Maulification  

Re: Help with itinerary and rail pass please 2015/2/18 11:54
Forwarding luggage is an excellent idea: it will take overnight, so you will need to have enough for 1 night in a day pack.
A 7 day pass will pay off, so yes, a good idea for those dates.
You end your trip right in Golden Week, so definitely book your seats back to Tokyo very early on in the trip.
You can exchange your JR Pass vouchers before April 22nd, and book seats then.
Enjoy!!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Help with itinerary and rail pass please 2015/2/18 12:58
You might want to spend some after sunset nights in Osaka just for the nightlife. The Domtombori really lights up at night. After which, you could head back to Kyoto.

Himeji shouldn't take much town. It has large walkways and roads making it pleasant to stroll about. But it does not have much food or attraction wise.

If you do get a 7 day JR Pass, you might to go to Hiroshima. For a day trip or for a day and night. If you feel uncertain, just see how you feel. It is good to have some options in case your present city starts to get boring. (Not that Kyoto ever bores me but individual preferences and all that)

Remember that a 7 day JR Pass makes life flexible. If your hotel or tourist information counter recommends a place slightly far away you are able to take the next train without extra cost.

Do note that it is not necessary to reserve seats in advance as there are usually empty seats on the non reserved carriage.

With a JR Pass, the reservation service is free though so for those days that time management is essential (getting to Kyoto, Tokyo, Airport) do reserve.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help with itinerary and rail pass please 2015/2/18 12:59
Wait a minute... 28 Apr... Nara day tour from Tokyo....

Do not do that. Nara is nearer to Kyoto then Tokyo. (In fact you would have to use Kyoto station as a transit point!)
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help with itinerary and rail pass please 2015/2/18 15:20
OOOPS: I just noticed that as well: yes, definitely go to Nara from Kyoto!! Well spotted!!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Help with itinerary and rail pass please 2015/2/18 16:19
Thanks for the comments. Yes we'll definitely do Nara from Kyoto (my mistake, I meant Nikko!).

Great idea about staying late in Osaka. We've been undecided about going to Hiroshima - I was a bit concerned whether we'd do it justice in a day trip - but now will look into timings, etc.

Thanks again (can't wait!)
by Maulification rate this post as useful

reply to this thread