Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train tickets 2015/2/18 04:25
Hi there,

This is my first time posting, so please let me know if this is the right spot.

My partner and I are planning a trip to Japan where we will be staying in the Kyoto area for 21 days. We are looking at train passes and are having a hard time deciding on which rail pass would be best (if any at all). Our Kyoto area travel plans are as follows:

3 days in Osaka
17 days in Kyoto
1 day at Mt Koya
Day trip to Nara
Sightseeing in Osaka and Kyoto for the days we are there.

Which rail pass should we purchase? Should we even purchase a rail pass at all? Would it be easier to just buy tickets at the station?

This is our first time travelling to Japan, so please excuse the noob questions :P
by Glebe  

Re: Train tickets 2015/2/18 12:47
That are some many days in Kyoto. The most I ever did consectively was seven.

I would recommend the Koya Pass for two way travel to Mt Koya.

As you are mainly focused in few cities, meaning a lack of intercity travel, a rail pass is not value for money.

However, if you travel extensively in a city in a day (to fro hotel plus 5 attractions) a bus or subway pass will be worthwhile. It depends on your itineary. As you are sufficient days in Osaka and Kyoto, there is not a need to rush about so I believe these passes are not applicable to you.

If you do decide to spend some of your Kyoto days out of Kyoto, then maybe you can consider a regional or national pass.
Places include Kanazawa, Himeji, Amanohashidate, Hiroshima, Kinosaki...
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train tickets 2015/2/18 12:51
I agree, 17 days in Kyoto is A LOT, even with day trips! Maybe you could stay overnight in Nara and see it at a slower pace? The park is big enough to spend two days in!
Also, the "Koya Pass" is the Koyasan World Heritage Pass, and it is very good value.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train tickets 2015/2/18 17:03
We love Kyoto (here for three days right now), and there is a lot to see (many weeks worth), but three weeks is a long time in one spot when there is so much variety.

If you are staying put, a train pass is not good value. If you are travelling around a lot, then they become more valuable, but that would mean travelling several days at a time away from Kyoto.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread