Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Drive from Takayama to Fukui Dinosaur Museum 2015/2/19 02:20
We are planing to our Japan trip in March. We plan to reach Takayama from Tokyo around 13th March. After 2 days in Takayama, we intend to visit Fukui Perfectural Dinosaur Museum before reaching Kyoto.

I was looking through the different posts and have planned the following

1) Rent a car in Takayama
2) Leave Takayama in morning, drive north on Route 41, then west on to Route 360, visit Shirakawa-go (again)
3) From Shirakawa-go, drive along Hakusan Super Rindo then merge to Route 157 to Fukui Dinosaur Museum by noon or later
4) Drop-off car at Fukui city and cath a JR limited express to Kyoto by night

I guidance in making this happen. Any help will be good as its first time for me in Hida/Fukui

My concerns are

0) Is it possible to do it in a day?
1) Can I rent a car in Takayama for drop-off in Fukui city?
2) Are the routes, i mentioned, open for individual cars around mid-march? I understand few are only for public buses
3) What driving conditions to expect around mid-march?

Look forward to your suggestions... Thank you
by Naveen (guest)  

Re: Drive from Takayama to Fukui Dinosaur Museum 2015/2/19 16:18
0) Is it possible to do it in a day?
-- From Takayama IC to Fukui IC, It take 2 hours 30 minutes by car.
1) Can I rent a car in Takayama for drop-off in Fukui city?
-- Yes. It is possible.
2) Are the routes, i mentioned, open for individual cars around mid-march? I understand few are only for public buses
-- Please take Tokai Hokuriku Highway to Oyabe Tonami JC via Shirakawa-go and then take Hokuriku highway to Fukui. Hakusan Super Rindo closed road until June.
3) What driving conditions to expect around mid-march?
-- It is better that rent a car with snow tire.
by Travel Arrange Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Drive from Takayama to Fukui Dinosaur Museum 2015/2/20 01:46
Oh was looking forward to driving through the scenic route. Thanks for the suggestion.

Just one follow-up question, will going south along tokai hokuriku highway and taking route 158/157 be more scenic through snowy mountains than through the suggested oyabe tonami jct/kanazawa?? Anyway we would have already visited Shirakawa+go and can skip it.

If not much difference, then We shall plan to take the suggested route.
by Naveen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Drive from Takayama to Fukui Dinosaur Museum 2015/2/20 11:19
I see. But Route 157 also closed now as snow. So it is better go to Fukui via Oyabe Tonami IC. Have a safety trip!
by Travel Arrange Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Drive from Takayama to Fukui Dinosaur Museum 2015/2/21 23:57
Thanks again for your valuable suggestions... Will follow them
by Naveen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread