Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 weeks travel - what do you think? 2015/2/19 23:19
We are planing travel to Japan for the first time in the middle of March.
We were thinking about:
Day1: Tokyo
Day2: Tokyo-Nikko-Tokyo
Day3: Tokyo-Kamakura-Tokyo
Day4: Tokyo
Day5: Tokyo
Day6: Tokyo-Hakone
Day7: Hakone-Nagano ?
Day8: Nagano-Kanazuwa ?
Day9: Nagano/Kanazwa - Hiroshime
Day10: Hiroshima
Day11: Kyoto
Day12: Kyoto
Day13: Kyoto-Nara
Day14: Osaka

Ehat do you think?
I am not sure about days 8+9. what is the easy day to get to Hirishima?
How is it going with JR? Should I buy it?
thanks a lot !!!
by ya123  

Re: 2 weeks travel - what do you think? 2015/2/20 11:29
There is no easy way of travel between Hakone and Nagano. It would be easier to visit Hakone in a side trip from Nagano and then travel from Tokyo to Nagano. Although it depends a little on what you want to see in Nagano. Nagano City? Something somewhere in Nagano Prefecture?

I assume with Kanuzawa you mean Kanazawa and not Karuizawa. If you like a fast pace of travel, I think it is okay to cover both Nagano and Kanazawa in just 2 days (although it could depend on what in Nagano you are interested to see). But if you prefer a slower pace of travel, I recommend to decide for just one of the two.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: 2 weeks travel - what do you think? 2015/2/21 01:00
Indeed Kanazawa .
In that case I don't want to do it fast. still not sure what to do in those 2 days.
by ya123 rate this post as useful

Re: 2 weeks travel - what do you think? 2015/2/21 03:52
I would leave Kanazawa & Nagano for the next trip & allow another day for Hiroshima and Two for Kyoto. There are so many day trips you can do from either (Himeji, Okayama, Onomichi, Hikone etc) and it allows for flexibility when you get a rainy day.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: 2 weeks travel - what do you think? 2015/2/21 08:11
Two thoughts:
1 are you coming into Tokyo airport and flying out of Kansai?
2 Are you are crowded big city person (ie Tokyo) or do you want more time in a suburban type place (kyoto)?

I went in 2013 for 16 days. One thing I found out (if you do not mind being on the trains) is you can do a day trip from Kyoto to Kanazawa. If you are interested you could fit it in by taking the first train over in the morning and taking a 6-or 7pm train back to Kyoto. That would be 4 hours total (both ways). I really enjoyed going to the Gold Museum and Ninjadera (amazing) and Kanazawa is much smaller than Kyoto and Tokyo. You could see a lot in a one day trip. A lot of sights in Kanazawa are inside, so it would also be a good trip for a rainy day.

Hiroshima I would recommend at least 2 nights and 1 day. I went to Peace Park and Miyajima Island while I was there. I found Peace Park to be Sobering and Miyajima to be fun and breath-taking. I highly recommend Miyajima Island, very few people on their first trip out make it that far out, but if its something you want to do, it is worth it to make the time. Might be tight with a two week trip to fit in Hiroshima, so it can be saved for next time too.

I would do at least 3 full days in Kyoto. There is a lot to see there.

Hope this helps.
by Anne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 weeks travel - what do you think? 2015/2/22 04:00
Thanks a lot for your answers !!!
We are coming from narita and going back from Osaka. Not really like big cities that's why there are only 3 days in tokyo one for nikko and one for kamakura. Day trips from Kyoto can be a good idea! In that case do you suggest to go directly from Tokyo/hakone to Hiroshima? What can be added for those 2 days ?
by ya123 rate this post as useful

Re: 2 weeks travel - what do you think? 2015/2/23 03:44
I would go straight to Hiroshima from Hakone. From Hiroshima you could take a day trip to the Battleship Yamato Museum at Kure & then on to Takehara with it's preserved buildings or go & visit Iwakuni for it's bridge & castle.
You could easily find enough to do for a week in Kyoto without being bored but there are so many day trips if you have a JR Pass. Hikone is a lovely small town on the shore of lake Biwa with an original castle, a really good museum of the Lords of Ii and a fantastic stone garden temple called Ryotanji. You could go to Fushimi Inari Taisha, or Okayama for it's garden. Or even hire bikes & cycle the Kibi plain cycle route. So many options.
As I mentioned in an earlier post you also gain time to reschedule if it rains or time to go somewhere you discover while on your trip.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

reply to this thread