Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass 2015/2/21 19:29
Hello!
I have a few questions about the JR Pass.

We are a couple, traveling to Japan in a month, on the end of March till mid-April.
We want to buy the 14-day JR Pass, and use it from April 2nd to April 14th.

1) In the JR Pass website, when we order our tickets there is a box to fill called "Date of Use". What does it mean? Is it it the date when we want to swap our voucher for the tickets, or the date that we want to start our 14-day period? It is important to us since we are going to be in Tokyo for a few days before we start using our 14-day pass, and the best option for us is to exchange the ticket in advance, before April 2nd. Hope you understood our question.

2) Reserving seats: We understand that there is an option to reserve seats on the JR train. We are going to be in Japan on the peak season (April). Is reserving seats necessary on this month? We are afraid that we won't have places on the train, since we have a tight schedule. If we want to reserve seats, how many days in advance should we do it? And is it done simply on the train stations?

3) JR Pass voucher delivery time. We live in Israel, how much time till the voucher arrive to our home? I only found that Fed Ex deliver it within a day, but not how much time until it shipped.

Since we count on the trains so much, and our trip has a very tight schedule it is something we want to be sure about.
Thank you very much!
by Michael (guest)  

Re: JR Pass 2015/2/22 10:10
In the JR Pass website, when we order our tickets there is a box to fill called "Date of Use". What does it mean?

I am not sure which website you were using (there are many websites selling the Japan Rail Pass), but I am sure it refers to the first date of use, i.e. the date you start using the actual pass.

We are going to be in Japan on the peak season (April).

It is not really a peak season with regards to how busy the trains are.

Is reserving seats necessary on this month?

No, almost all trains have non-reserved seating which can be used without seat reservations.

But I personally always reserve seats for peace of mind.

how many days in advance should we do it?

Very few trains book out more than a day in advance. Especially if you are somewhat flexible with the exact departure time (+/- a few hours), you should not encounter problems making seat reservations a day in advance. Often a few hours in advance is good enough.

And is it done simply on the train stations?

Yes. Please read about the basics here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2016.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass 2015/2/22 10:22
a lot of websites ask for a start date just to make sure it's within the 3 month validity period ( you have to start using it within 3 months of buying the exchange voucher)

reserving seats is easy but if your unable then there is unreserved cars on almost all trains - simply arrive 30 mins early and queue on the platform. I do this for most of my journeys and have never had any problems getting seats.

Delivery time to you all depends on where it's coming from, being standard mail it shouldn't take more than a few days.
by pas7680 rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass 2015/2/24 10:46
Some trains get busy at weekends and space may be limited for reserved seating, but I don't know anyone (even my Japanese firends) that like standing for three hours on a train.

If you are travelling at a weekend, book at least the day ahead to get the time you want. I have always managed to travel the day I wanted, but sometimes on a later train.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread