Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Railpass or shinkansen tickets Golden week 2015/2/25 10:20
Four of us are traveling to Kanazawa from Tokyo 4/29 and back 5/1. If we take the new shinkansen the price is about the same for tickets or a Railpass. I don't expect to take other train rides during our visit except the Skyliner to Narita.

My question is which ticket is easier if you plan on reserving seats? I read that you can reserve seats one month in advance at 10 am. Is that just for Railpass holders? So you buy your pass in the US and can book a seat before you arrive in the country and activate the pass? Only three of us qualify for the Railpass (one is living and working in Japan for year) which complicates matters.

If my son in Japan buys 4 round trip tickets at a counter, does he reserve seats then? And how far in advance should he do this?

Thanks in advance,
SkipperL (my first post!)
by SkipperL  

Re: Railpass or shinkansen tickets Golden week 2015/2/25 12:07
You need to exchange JR Passes and set start dates before you can reserve seats and you can only do that after you come into Japan with Tourist Visa Stamped on passport.

As for you son, he can just purchase the tickets for the specific time, date and train number with seat fee 1 month before like any other single tickets.

Hope this helps!!

Have fun!!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Railpass or shinkansen tickets Golden week 2015/2/25 14:10
Are the train prices the same including seat reservation fees? Reserving a seat costs more than unreserved seats, but seat reservations can be made for free with a JR Pass.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Railpass or shinkansen tickets Golden week 2015/3/14 02:04
Thanks, everyone. Since we are traveling during Golden Week we want reservations, and since my son is working and living there he's going to buy tickets and reserve seats a month ahead. That way we know we have a way to get there and will be sitting together.

Decided against the Railpass idea since one of us doesn't qualify. And if we buy all four tickets together I'm hoping that means we can be seated together. I once stood on a two hour train ride from Paris to Normandy during the Easter holiday. No fun.
by SkipperL rate this post as useful

reply to this thread