Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Railway pass suggestions 2015/2/28 13:36
Hi,

I'm just seeking for a suggestion in travelling around Japan for an upcoming trip in Mar-Apr.

The itinerary planned involves travelling from Tokyo - Hakone - Takayama - Kanazawa - Kyoto - Osaka.

Tokyo - Hakone covered via a tour, however from then on is where things become free for all.

I'm only spending a day each in Hakone, Takayama and Kanazawa, 3 nights in Kyoto, before ending in Osaka. (between 3rd Apr to 8th).

Would like a suggestion between getting the Seishun Juhachi Kippu pass, or 7-day JR pass, which is most efficient (cost and time wise).

Any recommendation would be truly helpful.

Thank you,
Kye
by kyeborg  

Re: Railway pass suggestions 2015/2/28 14:19
since u take a tour to hakone, u can consider to use this pass:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_takayama_hokuriku.html

however u should start from nagoya. JR Pass is not worthed for ur journey. and 18 seishun kippu is too slow.
by red (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Railway pass suggestions 2015/3/1 08:48
Thanks for the recommendation, red.

Just a quick question, may I ask why you would consider the Seishun Kippu as 'slow' relative to the Tourist Pass?

Thank you
by kyeborg rate this post as useful

Re: Railway pass suggestions 2015/3/1 09:04
The Seishun 18 ticket is not valid on Shinkansen or Limited Express trains. It's only valid on Local or Rapid trains. A ride from Tokyo to Osaka on Shinkansen with JR Pass will take you 3 hrs while the same ride with Seishun 18 will take about 7 hours and 20 minutes.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Railway pass suggestions 2015/3/1 21:37
Thank you for pointing that out.
I am very appreciative of the suggestion and am now incorporating that pass into my itinerary.

Even accounting for cost of travel between Hakone - Nagoya, it's still a good 4 hours (or more) saved in total.

Cheers all
Kye

Re: Railway pass suggestions 2015/3/1 21:56
I am very appreciative of the suggestion and am now incorporating that pass into my itinerary.

What do you mean by "that pass"?

Japan Rail Pass is not valid for your trip. Take Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass as red recommended. This pass is 10500 yen and covers your train trip from Nagoya to Takayama, then bus to Kanazawa via Shirakawago, and then train to Kyoto. With this pass, you must buy tickets from Odawara to Nagoya and Kyoto to Osaka (the validity period is expired after your stay in Kyoto), but this pass is still less expensive than Japan Rail Pass.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Railway pass suggestions 2015/3/3 05:37
Thanks frog1954

I did mean the Takayama-Hokuriku pass in my earlier post.

Cheers for your notes as well.
Kye

reply to this thread