Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido worst winter: Dec, Jan, or Feb 2015/3/7 00:11
Hello,

During next winter, I am planning on spending about a week in Hokkaido. This may sound weird but I am not looking for good weather. For photography purposes, I am actually looking for worst winter weather in Hokkaido. During December, January, or February, which month do you think I'll likely run into really really bad winter weather.

Last time I visited Hokkaido was mid to late Feb 2014, and weather was quite good. Mostly sunny and only one day of snow at night.

Thanks
by Sitti01  

Re: Hokkaido worst winter: Dec, Jan, or Feb 2015/3/7 10:08
Hokkaido is a big island with surprisingly different climates on the Pacific Side, Sea of Okhotsk side, Sea of Japan side and interior. So, it will depend on where in Japan you go. The Sea of Japan area is generally worst. If you search bad weather, don't go to the Pacific coast (such as Kushiro), because the weather tends to be very good there in winter.

But generally speaking, in the average year, the most bad-weather days occur in January (and depending on the region also in February), and then the weather gradually becomes better. As for snow depth, it usually peaks in mid February (late February in some areas). Of course, that is in the "average year". In a specific year, the situation may be quite different from the average year.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido worst winter: Dec, Jan, or Feb 2015/3/9 13:24
Thank you Uji!!
by Sitti01 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread