Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itenerary March 21-April 12 suggestions? 2015/3/8 04:12
This is my second trip to Japan. Last time I went in November 2013. My trip went Tokyo, Nagasaki, Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Himeji, Kobe, Miyajim, Nara, Osaka, Kyoto, Hakone, Tokyo.

This time I have absolutely no idea what I want. I have my rail pass and a hostel till Tuesday. This time I primarily want to take in the cherry blossom season, see mostly new places, and see Himeji Castle now that's it's finishing in a few weeks.

Suggestions welcome.
by hwalker84  

Re: Itenerary March 21-April 12 suggestions? 2015/3/8 08:25
Just a few ideas:

Kanazawa, Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Nagano
Okayama, Kurashiki, Takamatsu
Shimanami Kaido
Yokohama & Kamakura
Nikko
by TxF rate this post as useful

Re: Itenerary March 21-April 12 suggestions? 2015/3/9 23:49
Thank you sir.

Another question is what are the most sought after places for Cherry Blossom viewing? What about festivals?

My main goals this time are to primarily see things I didn't last time. Attend a bunch of seasonal festivals/parties. Eat a ton. See the newly renovated Himeji Castle. So far I have my Hostel booked for March 21st - 24th with nothing after that.
by hwalker84 rate this post as useful

Re: Itenerary March 21-April 12 suggestions? 2015/3/10 04:23
I will be doing a "cherry blossom"-oriented trip as well. I'll show you my plans and maybe you can take ideas out of it.

Flying in 3/21 to NRT
3/21 to 3/25 Tokyo
3/26 flight to FUK and train to Kagoshima
3/27 Kumamoto
3/28 Nagasaki
3/29 Fukuoka
3/30-4/1 Hiroshima
4/2 Ferry to Matsuyama
4/3 Okayama
4/4 Matsue
4/5 Kobe
4/6 Himeji then Osaka
4/7 Kyoto then Kanazawa
4/8 Shirakawago back to Kanazawa
4/9 Kazanawa to Kesennuma
4/10-13 Ishinomaki, Kesennuma, Minamisanriku, Rikuzentakata, Ofunato
4/14 train to Hakodate
4/15-16 Sapporo
4/17 CTS-HND JAL tour at Haneda then bus to NRT
4/18 Flight back to ORD

I'm hoping to hit cherry blossoms blooming in Kyushu, Chugoku and Shikoku. Maybe even Kanazawa. There is a festival in Matsue on 4/4 where they will parade with samurai clothing. I'll head to Himeji early on the 6th (Monday) to escape the weekend crowd and perhaps not have to wait too long to get in the keep. The last part of my trip is my annual trip to the Sanriku Coast to see the rebuilding of Tohoku. It'll be too early for sakura there, as well as Hokkaido. But by then, I'm hoping to have satiated my hanami at the beginning of my trip. Hope it gives you ideas. I will use a 21 day pass from 3/26 to 4/15 so I can include a long-distance rail transport on my trip.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Itenerary March 21-April 12 suggestions? 2015/3/10 10:01
Cherry blossom are most famous spots are in kansai.
Osaka Mint museum
Osaka castle
Kyoto temples and shrines
Kyoto walk along the Nanzanji incline
Yoshino mountain

Tokyo, Fukukoka and many other places do have their cherry trees but Kansai has the most concentration of trees and crowds. I recommend staying in some less popular city and using your JR Pass to make early morning rides to the popular destinations.

Places you might want to go includes
These places are not famous of cherry blossoms so it might be less crowded
With the exception of Takayama festival

Kanazawa 3 days
Takayma 1 day
Noto Peninsular 2 day
Toyama 1 day
Nagano 2 days
Karuizawa 1 day
Nikko 1 day
Okunikko 1 day
Kamakura 2 days