Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shirakawa 2015/3/9 08:11
Hi,

Is there a way to utilise the JR pass to travel between Takayama/Kanazawa/Kyoto and Shirakawa? The bus that travels between Takayama/Kanazawa and Shirakawa isn't covered by the JR pass so I'm not that keen on using it, but from what I read, using the JR pass involves a really convoluted trip around the region - hope I'm wrong though.

Planning either a day trip or just one night in Shirakawa depending on advice.

Thanks in advance!
by Y B (guest)  

Re: Shirakawa 2015/3/9 11:21
The only way to get to Shirakawago without a car is via bus, and the only bus I know that goes to Shirakawago is the privately owned Hokutetsu/Nohi bus. Maybe there's a JR one too but I haven't heard of it. It's not that expensive to catch the bus (a return ticket to/from Kanazawa is around 2500 yen).
by jennjett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawa 2015/3/9 11:48
We found for 2 adults and a 5 year old that hiring a car from in Takayama was better value than paying for the bus. We were able to spend as much time as we liked and got to drive to the other grass hut villages. We did a 12 hour. We drove the tollway there to get to shirakawa quicker and then took the non toll back roads which was quiet and scenic.
We then used our JR pass to go to Kyoto via Kanazawa
by Nasum (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread