Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nakasendo trail logistics 2015/3/9 18:59
Hi,
I am planning a trip to Japan somewhere soon, and while checking info on what to see and to do, I have bumped on the Nakasendo trail experience. Me and my girlfriend thought it would be a really interesting thing to do, maybe not the whole route, but eventually from Magome to Tsumago and at max to Nojiri.
I am not entirely sure about the path and how much to walk, I've read that this part is the most popular and easy to access, so suggestions would be really appreciated.

One other thing and eventually more important was the logistics regarding luggage and so. We are planning too stay 2 weeks in Japan, so we will take some extra luggage with us (I guess). If you do the trail, a backpack would be the most recommended bag to walk, but does anyone has any experience traveling with extra luggage, like normal trolley bags, where to leave it and so.
As the trail is not circular and you go from point A to B, traveling with those bag types can be something overwhelming.

It made me wonder if someone had the same issue and could have some better insight on it.
Thanks
by smaximo  

Re: Nakasendo trail logistics 2015/3/9 19:21
Gooday. You wouldnt walk the trail with your luggage because it is really more of a bushwalk than anything. Most people stay in Tsumago then walk to Magome and back (Tsumago to Magome is mainly uphill, it is easier to walk from Magome to Tsumago which is mainly downhill). I stayed at Hotel Kisoji, but I think you'd have more fun staying at one of the ryokans in Tsumago or Magome and doing the walk from there. There are luggage forwarding services too.

Personally I thought it was a bit overrated, I didnt really feel the history associated with it. The trail has a small section at Karuizawa which is far easier to get to though it doesnt have the cobbled bits. I'm not knocking it, but dont expect too much and you'll probably like it more.

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nakasendo trail logistics 2015/3/10 23:08
Thanks for the insight. I think I will follow your suggestion on staying eventually on Magome, at some ryokan and walk from there to Tsumago, returning back in the same day... it is doable in the the same day, right? For this tour I wonder if 2 nights would be enough...
Does anyone have some good tips for ryokans there by the way, maybe that could include nice food and some traditional japanese hot baths? Something like that...

Thanks again

by smaximo rate this post as useful

Re: Nakasendo trail logistics 2015/3/11 03:13
When I did the walk I came from Nagoya via train and bus to Magome - had my bag transferred to Tsumago - did the walk from Magome to Tsumago where I stayed overnight and then the next morning went on with the rest of my itinerary.

I don't see any need to do the walk both ways.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6078.html
The above page gives a lot of info in case you haven't seen it.

Hope that helps and enjoy!
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Nakasendo trail logistics 2015/3/11 09:16
Yes, sorry, I didn't meant to walk both ways. I was a bit knackered after walking from Magome to Tsumago, but it is worthwhile taking the extra time to go off to the waterfall area as well. I'd suggest walking from Magome to Tsumago and taking the bus to Magome.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread