Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto temples tour in 4-5 days 2015/3/11 14:11
Hi all,
I will be going to Kyoto the day after tomorrow. My plan will be largely visiting Kyoto, Nara, Arashiyama. I don't think I'm a big fan of temples and Sakura may not bloom yet, so I'm focusing more on temples that have something special all season e.g. gardens. I will visit Kyoto again in Autumn to the temples that look great in autumn colors. I tried to cover temples with

My itinerary is roughly as follow:
13-Mar: Shinkansen from Tokyo, reached Kyoto before 11am, take tour to Nara

14-Mar: trip to Osaka, stay overnight

15 Mar: Back to Kyoto, Toei Kyoto Studio Park until around 2pm; proceed to Fushimi Inari, left after sunset, proceed to Gion

16 Mar: Nijo Castle, Arashiyama 1 day tour

17 Mar: Nishiki market, Kinkakuji, Daikakuji, proceed to Kinosaki onsen at 1pm.

18 Mar: back to Kyoto, arrived at lunch time, proceed to Ginkakuji, Philosopher Walk, Nanzenji, Kiyomizudera, then proceed to Tokyo

I also have some questions:
1. In Nara, I will visit Nara Park, Todaiji temple, and Kasuga Taisha. Is there any other site worth visiting in Nara?

2. Is Iga-Ueno castle worth visiting?

3. For the above trip, is it worth getting the bus pass, as the temple trips are split into several days?

Kindly share your suggestion on the above itinerary.
by Moccy  

Re: Kyoto temples tour in 4-5 days 2015/3/11 21:40
1. In Nara, I will visit Nara Park, Todaiji temple, and Kasuga Taisha. Is there any other site worth visiting in Nara?

If you like gardens, there are two of them near Todaiji: Isuien and Yoshikien.

2. Is Iga-Ueno castle worth visiting?

Can't comment, haven't been.

3. For the above trip, is it worth getting the bus pass, as the temple trips are split into several days?

Each bus ride is 230 yen so it's worth getting the daily bus pass for 500 yen if you plan taking the bus three times a day.
by yozakura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto temples tour in 4-5 days 2015/3/12 07:19
Unless you have already booked a room in Osaka don't bother spending a night there as it is so close to Kyoto.
The other idea is to hire a bike rather than use the bus system. Kyoto is a beautiful flat city to ride around.
by Nasum (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread