Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Any suggestions on my 6 day itinerary? 2015/3/12 04:52
All,

I want to first say that this site and the forums are priceless when it comes to planning a trip to Japan. So thank you!

I spent a semester in Japan 10 years ago, and its now time for another trip. I was planning on getting a JR Rail Pass, but want you feedback to see if I need to get something else in addition or all together. Here is my itinerary:

Tuesday: Fly In - Narita - Kyoto
Wednesday:Kyoto - Uji - Kyoto (day trip)
Thursday: Kyoto - via Osaka - Mt. Koya
Friday: Mt. Koya - via Osaka - Kuronagi
Saturday: Kuronagi - Keyakidaira Station - Kuronagi (day trip)
Sunday: Kuronagi - Tokyo
Monday: Tokyo
Tuesday: Tokyo - Narita - Fly Out

Thank you all!
Mukur

by Mukur  

Re: Any suggestions on my 6 day itinerary? 2015/3/12 11:36
You're not spending any time in Kyoto basically... if you saw it on your first trip then cool; otherwise, I'd skip some of those day trips and spend more time in Kyoto.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Any suggestions on my 6 day itinerary? 2015/3/12 21:26
Yeap, thats the main reason for a short stay in Kyoto. I spent quite a bit of time there last time around. If it comes to it, we might skip Uji and spend the whole day in Kyoto.

This guide looks good: http://www.insidekyoto.com/must-see-kyoto-1-day-itinerary

Japan Rail Pass the best way to go? There is local travel, but i guess we'll just fork out the cash for that...
by Mukur rate this post as useful

Re: Any suggestions on my 6 day itinerary? 2015/3/12 23:24
I see, I figured there was a reason for skipping it. Uji looks nice, though I've never been, so if you've already seen lots of Kyoto, it'd be nice. Otherwise, if there's Kyoto stuff you'd rather see, then yeah, skip it. You could even just see how you feel when you get to that point.

Since you've got a round trip Tokyo-Kyoto, the pass will pay off for you.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Any suggestions on my 6 day itinerary? 2015/3/12 23:30
I went to Uji a couple of years ago. It's nice - but nothing spectacular. There are better places in Kyoto and the like which I think are more spectacular.

Uji (the town - not the JG User) is most famous for one temple that is world heritage listed.

If your interested in photos - check my individual page on JP and look for Uji...
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Any suggestions on my 6 day itinerary? 2015/3/12 23:34
Uji is mainly due to it being in the green tea producing area. The Japan-Guide page said that almost all restaurants use green tea in one way or another and that you can do a budget friendly tea ceremony.

We love us some green tea and want to get some.

Re: Any suggestions on my 6 day itinerary? 2015/3/12 23:45
That's fair enough then. Uji does have a lot of Green tea - but we warned of the Green Tea Ice Cream as it's a bit of an acquired taste.

I did find the tea in Uji reasonable - but I still prefer the tea from Shizuoka....

Re: Any suggestions on my 6 day itinerary? 2015/3/12 23:46
If you do visit Uji in the warmer months - I highly suggest Mimurotoji Temple as it's quite pretty.

One of my favourite temples in Kyoto was also Obakusan-manpuku-ji Temple.....

Re: Any suggestions on my 6 day itinerary? 2015/3/12 23:52
Thanks for the feedback mfedley. I have a bunch of green tea now that we ordered from Japan, including ceremonial macha, So the flavor is something we are used to and love very much.
Ill look into the temple as well.

Any specific restaurants or thing to do around green tea that you recommend in Uji? Or should I just explore and go anywhere that looks good?

Re: Any suggestions on my 6 day itinerary? 2015/3/13 10:05
You can easily get green tea in any major city in Japan.

You can get green tea at speciality shops along Teramachidori and about Gion in Kyoto.

You can get Uji green tea like anywhere in Uji. There is a shop north east of JR Uji Station. They have a restauarant thing going on. They are famed for being the supplier of Matcha for Kit Kat green tea chocolates. Been there twice but still can't remember the name. haha

Uji is nice. It is the summer resorts for aristocrats. Mainly because the gushing river cools things down. The few quirky temples and the hiking trails (for autumn leave viewing) are the secondary reasons to visit Uji.

P.S.
@Med always wondered whether Uji resides in Uji.

P.P.S.
Forgot. Kyoani is in Uji, if it interest you.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any suggestions on my 6 day itinerary? 2015/3/14 08:49
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to skip Uji and spend the day in Kyoto. I will hit up Nishiki market and area to get my green tea fill.

I will be eating at these places while I am there:

-Izuju
-Nishiki Warai
-Umenohana

reply to this thread