Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Guujouhe meaning 2015/3/15 03:50
I'm trying to translate a children's book for the kids I work with before I leave. I'm stuck on one page! I have the rest of it besides the part after "ryuu" on the third line: https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/1103889...

When I try to translate it I came out with Guujouhe which isn't even a word. I'm clearly reading it wrong, but how!?
by Cojimonster  

Re: Guujouhe meaning 2015/3/15 11:43
Because proper noun is hard to understand.
"Ryuuguujou" is the name of fabulous palace meaning "Dragon's Palace".
By the way, "Guujou" is changed from "Kyuujou" means "Imperial Palace". Both are the same in Kanji.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Guujouhe meaning 2015/3/15 13:37
The word "Ryuguujou" consists of kanji for "dragon," "palace," "castle," and is supposed to be a palace under the sea, where the sea animals gather, with a lord and his wife.

I don't know if there is a fixed English phrase for it, but it is something like the Palace of the Dragon (King) of the Sea. You would want to be sure to add "the Sea," to make sure it is understood that it is at the bottom of the ocean.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Guujouhe meaning 2015/3/15 14:40
You can understand the background, simply by searching 'Urashima Tarō' in Wikipedia.
by aiglon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Guujouhe meaning 2015/3/15 19:14
Every Japanese child knows what a "Ryugu-jo" is, but I doubt that any of them are aware that it has anything to do with dragons or that the kanji version gives us the meaning of "palace."

The explanation is all written in the story itself. The guy is led undersea, and there's these pretty girls and the feast in this big beautiful building. That's all the kids need.

They can find out for themselves about dragons and palaces once they get old enough to look up dictionaries. To the kids in Japan, "Ryugu-jo" is always a mysterious word that they only see in the story of Urashima Taro. I wouldn't want to spoil that for the non-Japanese readers by translating it to a more practical word :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ry%C5%ABg%C5%AB-j%C5%8D
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Guujouhe meaning 2015/3/15 20:06
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread