Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto 4 days itinenary 2015/3/15 17:13
Hi, I will have 4 full days in Kyoto and planned the below itinenary. Staying near Kyoto station. Would like to check is below workable and what kind of pass will be required or not at all for the transportation.

Day 1 - Walk to Higashi Hongan-ji and Nishi-Hongan-ji. Train to Nishiki market, Fushimi-Inari & Gion.

Day 2 - Kiyomizu-Dera, Sannen-zaka, Chion-in, Nanzen-ji, Path of Philosophy, Honen-in, Ginkaku-ji. Will take bus to Kiyomizu-Dera then walk to all other places. End at Ginkaku-ji and take bus back to Kyoto Station.

Day 3 - Tenryu-ji, bamboo grove, Okochi-Sanso villa. Back to Kyoto station for shopping and dinner at Pontocho alley. Is Okochi Sanso villa worth going?

Day 4 - Need to change accomodation and return by 6.30pm for kansei dinner so only planned for Nijo Castle and Kinkaku-ji.

Would appreciate any advice. Beside above, any other places worth going?

Thank you very much.
by Vic (guest)  

Re: Kyoto 4 days itinenary 2015/3/15 18:12
Yes
doable

would recommend ryoanji near kinkakuji.
Kinkakuji is a tourist spot. great for photos.
But ryoanji shows the true essence of zen.

The vill at Arashiyama is good for the views looking onto Kyoto and the matcha drink in the hut.
Seems like an empty day though.
Can add more. E.g do the whole Arashiyama or throw in Kinkakuji to Ninnanji in the morning
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto 4 days itinenary 2015/3/15 18:50
Thanks Joseph for your quick reply.
Do I need any transportation pass?
by Vic (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto 4 days itinenary 2015/3/15 22:58
We did the same in Arashiyama; all great attractions! We did Arashiyama monkey park too.Walking distance from Bamboo grooves etc.
Enough time for it,

Among the monkeys this spot turned out to be our favorite of the day.

http://www.kmpi.co.jp/english/
by Niels (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto 4 days itinenary 2015/3/16 01:07
Kyoto is a good place to hire a bicycle & pedal around. All the main destinations are easily reachable & you can park the bike in the car parks. http://www.kctp.net/en/
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto 4 days itinenary 2015/3/16 01:19
Two things, on day 1 you mention Nishiki Market, Fushimi Inari & Gion. (I'm sure you know)Fushimi Inari is not near the other two but 5km south. It is also quite a walk so you might want to allow time for that. Also Arashiyama monkey park is well worth it.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto 4 days itinenary 2015/3/17 21:11
Thansk Niels and Stan.

For Nishiki market and Fushimi-Inari, I plane to take train there. After Inari, go back to hotel for s rest before going to Gion for dinner. I checked and all transportation on day 1 will cost me Y1240.
Kyoto-Nishiki-Inari-Kyoto-Gion-Kyoto.
Walking distance to Nishiki from Kyoto around 2.6km. I think I can still walk there.

Re: Kyoto 4 days itinenary 2015/3/18 00:05
It's also worth mentioning that Gion & Kiyomizudera are right next to each other, so doing them on different days doesn't make much logistical sense. Also, if you go to Gion around 5:30pm, there's a good chance of seeing some geiko heading off for their evening appointments. Or, in the morning around 10am is a good time to see them heading to morning lessons.
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto 4 days itinenary 2015/3/18 22:11
Thank Saru for the hint. I shall start my day at Ginkaku-ji then end at Kiyomizudera. After that walk to Gion.
As for the geiko, didn't know they will appear so early.

Re: Kyoto 4 days itinenary 2015/3/18 23:35
If you are in Gion in the evening, I really recommend trying to catch a show at Gion Corner. You may have to queue for a while but it's really worth it. They feature several of the traditional arts, including maiko dancing and a puppet show. Photography encouraged!
by Rin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread