Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Enquiry on Kofuku-Ji Temple in Nara 2015/3/15 21:38
Hi everyone,

I will be visiting Nara 1st time with my aging parents in May. We hope to see some deers roaming around and to feed them for the experience. My parents probably cannot walk that far. May I know where is the nearest 1st sight of the deers we can see from Kintetsunara train station? Any luck if we walked only up to Kofuku-ji Temple ground? Where exactly are the deers? Nara park or Todai-ji Temple?

Is taxi available at Kintetsunara station? Will it be expensive for the journey to the area where most deers are?

Thank you in advance.
by Jordan (guest)  

Re: Enquiry on Kofuku-Ji Temple in Nara 2015/3/16 10:24
May I know where is the nearest 1st sight of the deers we can see from Kintetsunara train station? Any luck if we walked only up to Kofuku-ji Temple ground?

Yes, they are almost always hanging out around Kofuku-ji Temple, which is about a 400 meter walk slightly uphill from the station.

Where exactly are the deers? Nara park or Todai-ji Temple?

They generally hang out all over the Nara Park area. It's almost hard to go to any of the open green areas and NOT see them. Btw, Todai-ji is essentially the northern part of Nara Park. The deer hang out outside (where the people are) but can't go onto the temple grounds.

Is taxi available at Kintetsunara station? Will it be expensive for the journey to the area where most deers are?

Yes, they are available, but it's only a short (about 1km) ride into the park.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Enquiry on Kofuku-Ji Temple in Nara 2015/3/16 10:36
I hate to disagree (and it is only a little disagreement) but if Kofukuji temple is the one with the pagoda in it, there usually isn't deer there. The deer are more in Nara park which is a little further on, and in the Todaiji area.

The Todaiji deer are a bit pushy, they can give you a fair nudge especially if you have food whereas the deer in the park are nicer.

I'd get your parents into a taxi, whether it is to the main park, or to Todaiji. You can always visit Kofukuji on the way back, which is downhill.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Enquiry on Kofuku-Ji Temple in Nara 2015/3/16 11:06
I hate to disagree (and it is only a little disagreement) but if Kofukuji temple is the one with the pagoda in it, there usually isn't deer there.

No worries, everyone has different experiences. I've just always run into deer there on the half dozen or so times I've been to Nara. YMMV. Btw, it depends on when you visit. The busier the day the more likely you'll see deer closer to the city areas.

The Todaiji deer are a bit pushy, they can give you a fair nudge especially if you have food whereas the deer in the park are nicer.

They're actually the same deer, but the ones that are actively hanging out near people are specifically looking for food so you can expect them to be pushier than the ones that are avoiding people.

I'd get your parents into a taxi, whether it is to the main park, or to Todaiji. You can always visit Kofukuji on the way back, which is downhill.

Just fyi, you can't take a taxi all the way in to Todaiji. The road is closed at the intersection about 500 m up past Kofuku-ji. It may be possible to get a few hundred yards closer by going to one of the side gates however, and visit Kofuku-ji on the way back. But if the aim is to see deer in the shortest possible distance from Kintetsu-nara then you're best bet is to try Kofuku-ji first and go from there.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Enquiry on Kofuku-Ji Temple in Nara 2015/3/16 20:41
Thanks both users....for the info! I will try out Kofukuji temple 1st. If there aren't any deers,, will catch a cab to the park. Will play by ears. Cheers!
by Jordan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Enquiry on Kofuku-Ji Temple in Nara 2015/3/17 10:14
I saw deer at Kofuku-ji when I was there last November; they were much more "chilled" than the deer near Todai-ji! There weren't as many either, just a few. I don't think there's much point catching a cab from Kofuku-ji to the park - it's not that far. Just take a nice, leisurely stroll to make sure your parents are okay.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Enquiry on Kofuku-Ji Temple in Nara 2015/3/17 22:36
Thks for the info, sq. just few deers will do :-)
by Jordan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread