Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/16 13:56
I read there's a big selection of one-day travel cards in Japan but haven't seen anything like weekly, monthly or yearly for residents.

Prepaid cards don't give any discount on single tickets I understand.

What's the best option for unlimited travel to Tokyo including JR and Underground?
by jn (guest)  

Re: monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/16 14:34
Residents often purchase commuter pass/season ticket that is valid for a certain commuting route for one, three, or six months, to use between home and school or work. This gives a good discount. But for example I am a freelance worker, meaning I don't go to the same employer everyday - I only use a prepaid card.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/16 14:40
I read there's a big selection of one-day travel cards in Japan

Yes, but note that the ones for major cities tend not to be very cost effective.

but haven't seen anything like weekly, monthly or yearly for residents.

That's because there aren't any, outside of regular commuter passes that is.

Prepaid cards don't give any discount on single tickets I understand.

Thats it correct.

What's the best option for unlimited travel to Tokyo including JR and Underground?

There is only one option, the Tokyo Free Kippu, but it is overpriced and hard to make pay off compared to regular fares.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/16 15:25
Thanks free-lance.
A commuter pass sounds ok to travel from my prefecture to Tokyo by JR.
As for metropolitan Tokyo I want a pass that allows me to use all lines as like you I go to different locations everyday.
There's got to be something...
What about Tokyo residents who use public transport everyday?
Travel cards in London have unlimited travel within their period of validity and can be used on any mean of transport within the stated zones you choose. Is there not an equivalent in Japan?
by jn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/16 16:06

Commuter passes only make sense if you are regularly commuting between two stations. For example, the 1 month starts to pay off if you make a round trip every weekday. If you only go on weekends then it will not pay off.

As for metropolitan Tokyo I want a pass that allows me to use all lines as like you I go to different locations everyday.

There's got to be something...

Sorry, there is only the Tokyo Free Kippu. It's 1590 yen.

What about Tokyo residents who use public transport everyday?

They buy commuter passes or use IC cards.

Travel cards in London have unlimited travel within their period of validity and can be used on any mean of transport within the stated zones you choose. Is there not an equivalent in Japan?

Unfortunately no, at least not economical ones for residents.

Re: monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/16 23:22
That sucks...
London might not be weather friendly but transportwise is a raw model.
Looks like Japan is very much oriented towards private transportation.
Well let's purchase a commuter pass to start, then I'll pay any extra fare outside my regular route...
I wonder if one needs a salary just to travel here.

Re: monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/17 11:34
Looks like Japan is very much oriented towards private transportation.

The big cities like Tokyo are almost fully public transportation oriented. In fact, the train and bus rides can be relatively inexpensive here, which is probably one reason that daypasses are not so common.

Where will you be traveling into Tokyo from? Are you working in the city or just planning to visit everyday? There are some special set tickets that can save you money when you visit the city, but it depends on where you'll be traveling from.

Re: monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/17 12:14
Are you talking about carnets?
I know you get one free ticket if you buy a 10 tickets carnet but they are not valid on the underground.
I have no choice but to buy a commuter pass for JR then do single tickets for each destination in Tokyo...
Doesn't a monthly Tokyo Free Kippu exist?
I obviously won't spend Y1590 daily but if there were cheaper monthly or weekly options I might consider it.

Re: monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/17 13:03
You can buy the commuter pass and have the option to use the pass as a normal IC card, no need to buy single tickets every time.
by Asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/17 13:24
Thanks Asahana
That would help from the hassle but what I'm saying is that urban transport is not included in the JR pass except Yamanote line so I will still have to pay Tube fares in addition.
The commuter pass includes Underground just for the destination stated on it but going to different places everyday is to no avail.
The Free Kippu is my only option I'm afraid so I hope there is a cheaper monthly version.

Re: monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/17 13:41
I know you get one free ticket if you buy a 10 tickets carnet but they are not valid on the underground.

That's one possibility, but there are others. For example, some regions used to have resident free kippu passes that got you roundtrip transport plus unlimited JR in Tokyo for roughly the price of just the roundtrip.

Btw, where are you trying to go that is only accessible by subway? Most places in Tokyo are accessible by both JR and subway.

Doesn't a monthly Tokyo Free Kippu exist?

No, sorry. How much are you planning to train each day? Even the heaviest travelers probably take less than half a dozen short train trips per day.

what I'm saying is that urban transport is not included in the JR pass except Yamanote line so I will still have to pay Tube fares in addition.

Will you have a JR Pass too? All JR lines in Tokyo are covered by the pass, and most places are accessible by JR.

Can you tell us more about your situation and use case. Are you a resident or a tourist who will be staying long term. Let us know your plan and maybe we can propose something useful.

Re: monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/17 19:41
Roppongi is one of the stations not served by JR where I often go.

Re: monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/17 20:24
You have been told repeatedly that it's it's impossible to provide recommendation without precise information about your situation, but you refuse to provide it... There's no point in continuing this discussion until you do.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/18 11:26
I am a resident who commutes daily from Saitama to Tokyo.

Do you need my home address as well Firas?!

Re: monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/18 11:49
Knowing which city would help determine if you were on a Tobu or Seibu Line, as opposed to a JR line, but it's not vital since commuter passes are available on those lines too.

Anyway, if you are a resident that commutes daily then you should get a commuter pass and then just pay for additional trips via ic card. If you do certain legs frequently (say Shibuya to Roppongi) then get coupon tickets for the subways which save between 10-40% off the regular price. Not much else you can do to save money besides maybe getting a bicycle for your city travel or walking more.

Re: monthly/yearly travel cards 2015/3/19 11:51
Thanks for your kindness ywlll...
My city is served by JR line and it's not an issue to do a Commuter pass.
What I was asking was if I could use my JR pass on the UNDERGROUND, or SUBWAY as they call it here.
I have now assessed that except for Yamanote line JR pass is NOT VALID ON SUBWAY.
I'm being too British I guess here...
Because in London we have just one pass called Oyster card which can be used unlimited on British Railways, Underground, Buses.
Come on Japan!
You are better than that!

reply to this thread