Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

first timer, please comment my itinerary 2015/3/16 16:02
13 days and 14 nights in Japan

May 8 - arrive at Narita airport at 15:20, exchange JR pass, take shinkansen to Kyoto
May 8-13 5 nights in Kyoto with side trip to Nara and Osaka
May 13 overnight in Miyajima
May 14 from Miyajima to Himeji, and to Kanazawa
May 14-16 2 nights in Kanazawa
May 16-21 5 nights in Tokyo

Thanks very much in advance!
by nextstop  

Re: first timer, please comment my itinerary 2015/3/16 16:45
My impressions as follow:
1. Have you booked your air ticket? If not, do consider arriving at Kansai rather than Tokyo.
2. Your Miyajima trip is one odd trip from the rest of your itinerary, and you would probably not make the best time out of it. If you are after the three great sight, do consider Amanohashidate thats North of Kyoto.

Apart from that, I don't see any issue with the itinerary, 2 days Kanazawa is good, i love the town, probably better if you include your 1 day trip to Miyajima to this part of itinerary, eg. Takayama? or Matsumotor? Nagano?
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: first timer, please comment my itinerary 2015/3/16 17:06
Thanks vinces7! Can you please elaborate on why Miyajima is odd? We plan to arrive by noon, stay overnight and leave the next day after breakfast. Is that considered too short? I thought it would be better than a day trip. I really like the torri gate, at least, really like the picture of the gate :)
by nextstop rate this post as useful

Re: first timer, please comment my itinerary 2015/3/16 17:08
Soy, forgot to say - yes, flight has been booked. Tokyo is in the end of the trip to avoid coming back to Tokyo the night before to make the morning flight.

Thanks!

Re: first timer, please comment my itinerary 2015/3/16 17:14
You will be passing a few good spots to stop while on your trip to Miyajima, and Hiroshima is also another good place for a day or two.

While, it isn't a bad choice, Miyajima is further to the west (only 100min+ on Shinkansen though, so it isn't really as bad)

Anyway in short, it is doable, but Kansai area does has a lot to offer to be covered in 5 days (Kyoto can easily ate up 3 days easily, Nara should be full day trip).

Re: first timer, please comment my itinerary 2015/3/16 18:18
Did you add Miyajima in with the consideration of JR 14 days pass? (so that the pass will worth it? )

Re: first timer, please comment my itinerary 2015/3/16 23:27
No, Miyajima has always been on my list. Hiroshima, on the other hand, was removed after deliberation. I don't find it culturally or scenically appealing.

We do have 5 nights 4 full days in Kyoto and Nara is a full day trip in our plan.

Thanks!

Re: first timer, please comment my itinerary 2015/3/16 23:33
We plan to arrive by noon, stay overnight and leave the next day after breakfast.

Bad idea. Always do your travelling in the evenings. Unless you want to wake up at 4 am, daylight hours are scarce, you don't want to waste them in trains.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: first timer, please comment my itinerary 2015/3/16 23:49
My guess is your main focus for Miyajima trip is Miyajima only? If that is the case, it should be no issue.

I would assume you will be staying on the island? Should be lovely to get different view with different tides etcetc.

Enjoy the trip, seems not much issue though as mentioned by Firas, either travel at night or travel earlier in the morning. I am usually the latter one while my friend is travel at night type. See whichever suits you best.

Re: first timer, please comment my itinerary 2015/3/17 02:29
I totally agree with the no travelling during the day. But there is no way to get around it with Miyajima.
On the day from Kyoto to Miyajima, we need to be there in time for the dinner at the Miyajima Grand Hotel Arimoto. And then on the day out, we need to stop over at Himeji and then continue on to Kanazawa.
I thought about giving up Miyajima this time but... It better exceed my high expectation! :)
I wish I could find a better way.

Re: first timer, please comment my itinerary 2015/3/17 09:56
Agreed

Miyajima is greatest with some light, little light, and night
So anytime after noon is great
It's not necessary to stay overnight though

You could stay till the sun sets
Ferry back to Hiroshima
Okonomiyaki for dinner
Then Shinkansen to Kyoto or some other city
Should be able to reach hotel before 10
Enough sleep for the following day

At least that's would I would do

Kanazawa is a great city
I truly recommend it. Do spend some time in the garden, the castle, the museums, and do support the small Onsen towns about the city
by JOSHUA hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: first timer, please comment my itinerary 2015/3/18 05:08
Thanks very much Joshua!

reply to this thread