Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1 person 2 passes per visit 2015/3/18 00:29
If I want to buy 1 kansai area pass and 1 kansai hiroshima pass per visit, is that allowed?

Because I heard buying 2 same passes per visit is not allowed. Is buying 2 different passes per visit allowed?
by fujisaku  

Re: 1 person 2 passes per visit 2015/3/18 10:41
If I want to buy 1 kansai area pass and 1 kansai hiroshima pass per visit, is that allowed?

Yes.

Because I heard buying 2 same passes per visit is not allowed. Is buying 2 different passes per visit allowed?

Generally yes, but it depends on the pass. For example, you can only buy one kansai area pass from within Japan, but you can buy multiple kansai area passes from outside the country.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_03.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: 1 person 2 passes per visit 2015/3/18 13:14
Generally yes, but it depends on the pass. For example, you can only buy one kansai area pass from within Japan, but you can buy multiple kansai area passes from outside the country.

Aren't they going to record our password number to prevent this during activation so that we could only activate once?

Or do they just check during purchase?
by fujisaku rate this post as useful

Re: 1 person 2 passes per visit 2015/3/18 14:08
Many explicitly allow you to purchase more than one pass (for example, the kansai and the kansai/hiroshima passes), so that shouldn't be a problem for those. You just have to purchase from abroad.

Re: 1 person 2 passes per visit 2015/3/18 14:42
I have another question.

It's actually unrelated and probably rather silly.
What is liners in regular trains?

The pass usually usable for non reserved seat, but not reserved seat and liners.

What does it mean by liners?

Re: 1 person 2 passes per visit 2015/3/18 14:53
Liners are special commuter trains that tourists don't typically encounter. Let us know if there are specific ones that you are coming across in your routeing and we'll help you figure them out.

But to make it more confusing, there are also some trains that have "liner" in the name that are not actually liners (for example, the Marine Liner). These are typically COVERED by the passes.

Re: 1 person 2 passes per visit 2015/3/18 17:19
Well yes, it's confusing. I still don't get the idea what is liner in the second context.

I checked that most west JR passes don't cover liners. It says separate liner tickets or numbered tickets are required.

Is it common to find trains that have liners?

I guess I just have to make sure to take the non reserved seat.

Re: 1 person 2 passes per visit 2015/3/18 18:07
Well yes, it's confusing. I still don't get the idea what is liner in the second context.

In the second context, they are "liners" in name only. It's just a title and doesn't affect ticketing.

Is it common to find trains that have liners?

No, as mentioned they are commuter trains seldom encountered by tourists. When in doubt ask the JR staff.

Re: 1 person 2 passes per visit 2015/3/18 23:48
By the way, is cancellation of online booking through westjr.co.jp always free?

reply to this thread