Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Planning a new trip - first time 2015/3/18 09:39
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend and I recently decided to travel to Japan and will be there from May 30-June 7th (flying into and out of Tokyo). We are trying to plan a solid itinerary so that we don't arrive and have no idea what we are doing.

We plan to spend 3 days in Toyko, 3 in Kyoto (and Hiroshima) and perhaps one day in the Mt. Fuji area. Ideally, we would like a good balance of shopping, sight seeing, museums and definitely soaking in the culture. We are both into food and want to try the best Japan can offer - ramen, sushi, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start our planning? There are so many things to consider, but anticipate in Tokyo we will stay in Ginza or Shibuya areas. What rail pass makes the most sense? Any of you have a sample itinerary?

Thanks~
by Senzer (guest)  

Re: Planning a new trip - first time! 2015/3/18 11:20
This website is a great place to start! It will help you with itineraries as well:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400.html

Something like this: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_tokyo_6.html with a day trip to Hiroshima instead of Kyoto. Or, spend the night in Hiroshima before heading back to Tokyo.

There are also itineraries for Kyoto and Tokyo. Check the Japan Guide pages on those places to get an idea of what there is to do, choose some things you'd like to do, then develop the base itinerary for your preference.

Once you've got a good plan, post here again and people will suggest different things.

Have fun!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Planning a new trip - first time! 2015/3/18 11:56
For 7 days plan, try not to waste too much time on traveling, always consider your travel time in your itinerary.

For 7 days trip first timer, I would suggest either Tokyo+Kyoto only or Tokyo only or Kyoto/Kansai only. Try not to squeeze in Hiroshima in for such short trip for first time.
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Planning a new trip - first time 2015/3/19 04:59
Tokyo and Kyoto as your base hotels for a week. Then you can add on a couple of day trips and that can include Hiroshima (doable as a day), Nara and a few different areas of Kyoto and Tokyo. Because your time is short, skip Fuji - if you see it from the train, that will be better than actually visiting.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Planning a new trip - first time 2015/3/22 02:53
Hey there,

I think in your case the best option would be to go for a 7 day JR pass. Since you're arriving and leaving from Tokyo and plan to go to at least Kyoto and Hiroshima.
The roundtrip Tokyo-Kyoto with the bullet train costs 13,600 yen one way (I think? Please check hyperdia.com) and a 7 day JR pass costs 29,110 yen. If you plan on taking a day trip to Hiroshima from Kyoto (11,370 yen one way and takes 131 mins, see hyperdia.com) , then the pass will definitely pay off.

If you're not planning on going anywhere besides to Kyoto and back to Tokyo, then I guess just buying normal tickets instead of the JR Pass would be okay? I'm not sure how much you can use the pass to travel within Tokyo and Kyoto...

I'm also planning my first trip to Japan! :)
Hopefully we'll like it! :p
by Debbie51089 rate this post as useful

Re: Planning a new trip - first time 2015/3/22 04:16
Just as a guide, the 7 day pass is about the same price and Narita to Kyoto return. Adding a trip to Osaka/Hiroshima or pretty much anywhere else will be a bonus.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Planning a new trip - first time 2015/3/23 17:52
hi

how about adding HAKUBA to the 7-day intinerary (KYOTO-HAKUBA-TOKYO)

I searched on hyperdia but got so much confussion on public means. Anyone please help?
by mitphuong (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Planning a new trip - first time 2015/3/24 03:36
If you wanted to avoid travel time, it is also possible to just stay in Tokyo.
As day trip, you could go to Kamakura, to feel the atmosphere of an old capital. It would be a bit like Kyoto, but with the ocean. And if the weather is nice, you have more chance to see Fuji than from Tokyo.
Nikko would also be an interesting day trip.
by PBY rate this post as useful

Re: Planning a new trip - first time 2015/3/24 09:59
I agree with the no Hiroshima.

Your first time planning a trip may have some unknown issues appearing. Though, Japan is very tourist friendly, there are always problems to be wary about.

E.g. not knowing how to find the washroom, not knowing how to read signage, not knowing how to read North/S/E/W

Spend your time equally in Tokyo and Kyoto
From Kyoto you can go to Osaka Domtombori one evening.
From Tokyo you can go to Nagano, Karuizawa, or Kusatsu, to experience a Japanese resort area. Understand how the locals chill.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread