Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best Rail Pass for my itinerary 2015/3/18 11:12
Hi there,

I know it is a common question and although I have checked out numerous previous threads and checked site info, I am not confident in working out the most cost effective train travel. Any specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

My itinerary is quite rigid as accom has been booked. I am travelling with my 19y.o son

JUN29 NARITA AIRPORT to TOKYO
JUN30 YUDANAKA (via new bullet train extension)
JUL02 Bus & train to TOYAMA & then TAKAYAMA
JUL03 Bus to SHIRAKAWA-GO
JUL04 Bus to KANAZAWA then train to KYOTO
JUL05 / JUL06 maybe one day trip from KYOTO
JUL07 train to OSAKA
JUL08/09 Possible day trip NARA? SHIGA?
JUL10 train / bus to MY KOYA
JUL11/12 train to OMONICHI (cycling trip)
JUL13 train to OSAKA
JUL14/15 train to NAGOYA
JUL16 train to Mt FUJI (summit climb)
NOT SURE WHICH side to train to as undecided. ANY suggestion as to which train to take for easiest access climb would be great
JUL 17/23 train to TOKYO possible day trips to GHIBLI museum, YOKOHAMA
JUL24 Fly home from NARITA

Not sure whether to get 14 or 21 day JR pass and if getting the green is value for money? Also what other private train company or regional passes I should get.

Thank you kindly! :D

Ronnie
by AussieRonnie  

Re: Best Rail Pass for my itinerary 2015/3/18 12:21
Haven't done the calculation but from the look of it, neither JR 14 or JR 21 pass will worth it for your itinerary.

The section that will cost you most seems to be:
1. The Tokyo - Yudanaka (seems you will be using private railway to get here too.. not gonna be covered by JR)
2. Kanazawa - Kyoto = should be 6000 ish on top of my head
3. Kyoto - Nagoya = 6000 ish

Most the bus trip will not be covered by JR pass too..
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Best Rail Pass for my itinerary 2015/3/18 12:52
oh really? thx vince. thats a bit of a worry and even more confusing :)
by AussieRonnie rate this post as useful

Re: Best Rail Pass for my itinerary 2015/3/18 13:01
Since you will be using a lot of private train and bus, i feel it will easier for you to just buy ticket as you go.

Use Hyperdia to check your itinerary cost.

Re: Best Rail Pass for my itinerary 2015/3/18 17:23
Forgot to ask, have you bought the air ticket to Japan yet? or is there anything in your itinerary that is fixed etc?

Re: Best Rail Pass for my itinerary 2015/3/18 18:14
Never mind, saw that your accommodation has been finalized.

Re: Best Rail Pass for my itinerary 2015/3/18 20:44
thx again vince! :D

Re: Best Rail Pass for my itinerary 2015/3/19 01:39
JUN29 NARITA AIRPORT to TOKYO Narita Express 2820yen
JUN30 YUDANAKA (via new bullet train extension) It looks like it is just till Nagano on JR 8000yen Then it is a private line which is not covered.
JUL02 train to TOYAMA & then TAKAYAMA Again Yudanaka to Nagano is private line. But Nagano to Takayama is covered by JR 10130yen
JUL03 Bus to SHIRAKAWA-GO Nohi bus which is NOT covered. http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/shirakawago_kanazawa.html
JUL04 Bus to KANAZAWA then train to KYOTO You can use same Nohi Bus to Kanazawa. Then Kanazawa to Kyoto on JR 6700
JUL05 / JUL06 maybe one day trip from KYOTO Depends on where but I would say about 500-1200yen+
JUL07 train to OSAKA Again this could be between 560-1530yen+ depends which train you take
JUL08/09 Possible day trip NARA? SHIGA? 1600yen roundtrip to Nara
JUL10 train / bus to MT KOYA Get this pass http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_012.html
JUL11/12 train to ONOMICHI (cycling trip) Osaka to Onomichi JR 8090yen
JUL13 train to OSAKA Onomichi to Osaka JR 8090yen
JUL14/15 train to NAGOYA Osaka to Nagaya JR 6150yen
JUL16 train to Mt FUJI (summit climb) I recommend Kawaguchiko side http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6906.html however starting from Nagoya you would at best arrive in the afternooncit might be better to go back to Tokyo first and then early morning start for day trip to Kawaguchiko and to 5th station. Also the summit climb could take many hours to do. Nagoya to Otsuki station 12050yen then private line to Kawaguchiko.
JUL 17/23 train to TOKYO possible day trips to GHIBLI museum, YOKOHAMA Kawaguchiko to Otsuki private line. Then Otsuki to Tokyo JR 2740yen. The rest to the trip is small fares so maybe get a Sucia IC Card here.
JUL24 Fly home from NARITA

If you start a 21 Japan rail pass from Jun 29 – Ending on Jul 19
And assuming you also go to Kawaguchiko side
Total regular tickets 62400+yen

21 day Japan Rail Pass
59350yen

It is still hard to say if that would be worth it because we do not know if you would pick the Kawaguchiko side for Mt Fuji.

Conclusion: 21 days yes if Kawaguchiko side, otherwise the Japan Rail Pass would probably NOT work out, even the 7 or 14 days. If you are flexible we could maybe work out 14day rail pass but you have said most of your hotel is booked.

Hope this help!!!
Have fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Best Rail Pass for my itinerary 2015/3/19 05:59
WOW Koo! thank you so much for going to so much effort and giving your time to provide some great information. Incredibly kind of you. :D

Re: Best Rail Pass for my itinerary 2015/3/19 09:28
Forgot to ask, have you bought the air ticket to Japan yet? or is there anything in your itinerary that is fixed etc?

Re: Best Rail Pass for my itinerary 2015/3/19 09:33
Oops what the heck with the same post...
Anyway, good research there by Koohii2wii, if the difference between total cost of whole journey on JR and the JR 21 day pass is small, I would definitely go for the pass.

With the pass, it is so much more convenient, eg. for those train that do not require reservation, you could just hop onto any (but only on free seat area) train in case you miss the previous train etc. Also helps you not to have to figure out the ticket buying at the machine or queue up at the ticket station etcetc.

I will definitely buy the 21 days pass in this case, save a lot of hassle and a lot more flexible for the journey.

Re: Best Rail Pass for my itinerary 2015/3/19 11:06
Thx so much Vince for your added comment :)

I checked out Hyperdia.com and mapped the trip. It is hard to determine which travel is covered by the JR pass and that which is not.

From what I could tell, the cost by individually buying tickets is 2/3 of the cost of a 21 day JR pass.

I don't mind paying extra for the convenience of being able to jump on any train as per your comment vince, but for an extra $400-500, Id have to seriously consider not getting the passes.

Re: Best Rail Pass for my itinerary 2015/3/19 12:05
From hyperdia, if the icon of train is red/pink, that is a private rail and will not be included in JR pass.

Expansion from Koohii2wii:
Tokyo- Nagano= 8200 (depends on train) (JR)
Nagano - Yudanaka = 1260x2ish (non-JR)
Nagano- Takayama = 10530 (depends on train) (JR)
Takayama- Shirakawa-go = 2470 (Bus, Non-JR)
Shirakawa-go - Kanazawa = 1850 (Bus, Non-JR)
Kanazawa - Kyoto = 6900 (by Thunderbird) (JR)
Kyoto - Surroundings = Depending where, I will say around 5000 Yen total or less
Osaka - Onomichi = 8290x2 (JR)
Osaka - Nagoya = 6350 (JR)
Nagoya - Otsuki (as recommended) = 12000ish (Depend on train, couple of transfers required... 3-4 transfer) (JR)
Otsuki - Kawaguchiko = 1140x2 (Non-JR)
Otsuki - Tokyo = 2940 (JR)
NEX, Narita - Tokyo = 3020 (JR)

Total JR trip = 71,520 (Rough estimate depending on trains use)
Total not covered by pass = 9120 (did not include Kyoto surrounding, particularly Koya trip, so this should be a little more)
Total Trip cost approx = 80,640

Cost of 21 day pass = 59,350
Total trip with 21 day pass + non covered ticket approx = 68470

I will definitely get JR 21 days pass after calculation, not mentioning the convenience, any small trip on JR will also be covered by the pass, or even sudden change in itinerary where you might take multiple shinkansen to other area etc.

Re: Best Rail Pass for my itinerary 2015/3/20 07:43
The unanswered part - should you get Green Car pass? Probably not on your schedule. It is a nice option if you are doing lots of long shinkansen trips, but the local and limited express trains not as much of a benefit.

Certainly the seats are nicer and you get more room, and some better service (sometimes there is more seat availability too), but the ordinary JR pass works fine.

Looks like a good trip :)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Best Rail Pass for my itinerary 2015/3/20 15:20
thx for answering that part japantours. thats is very helpful :D

reply to this thread