Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto autumn colours & crowds 2015/3/19 20:55
Hello,
I'm planning to visit Japan in november.
In my itinerary I plan to visit Kyoto between 24 november and 30th november which I know is peak season for the autumn colours that I obviously hope to see.

I have read some travel diaries around the net (and seen the reports here on japan guide) and many of them talk about huge crowds there.

How badly crowded is it? Is it easier to visit temples and shrines during weekdays rather than on weekend? (28-29 november will be saturday and sunday).
Are there some hours of the day which are usually less crowded?

I've read that huge crowds are there especially at tofukuji and Kyiomizudera, are other temples and shrines less packed?

I obviously don't expect to have all the temples at my total disposal, but I wouldn't even want to spend the entire week elbowed, squashed and blocked in long queues in every single temple, garden or shrine that I'll visit. Would that be the case or is it just for some places (like tofukuji and kiyomizudera) at some hours of the day or in the weekend?

Thanks to everyone who will care to answer!
by ItalianSan  

Re: Kyoto autumn colours & crowds 2015/3/20 12:09
I was in Kyoto that exact time last year! It was definitely crowded, but not "elbowing"-esque, except at the really "big" places - Kiyomizudera being one of them. Most of the time the areas were big enough that there was enough space for everyone, although you may need to walk around at a slower pace since people will be admiring the gardens and temples (especially in places like Ginkakuji where there is a one-way path). Get to the popular sights first thing in the morning to avoid the worst of the crowds. I got to Kinkakuji 20 minutes before opening and there was already a line of 30 people!
It will be more crowded on weekends, but it wasn't extreme anywhere except Kiyomizudera. I didn't see any of the illuminations, but I can only imagine the crowds would have been much worse!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto autumn colours & crowds 2015/3/21 01:09
I have been to Kyoto twice in the fall season. In the first trip I visited the main sights and went to Kiyomizudera for the night illumination on a Monday evening. There was a long line around 6pm but I waited about 20 minutes. There wasn't any elbow pushing in the line but it was definitely very crowded inside the temple. Expect some elbow bumping there but people were generally quite mindful.

In my second trip, I went to Kiyomizudera on a Saturday late morning and stayed there for a couple of hours past noon. It was actually better than the night viewing in that yes, there was a lot of people but no one place was overcrowded. There was plenty of space for people to take group photos or just stand to look at the views.
by yozakura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto autumn colours & crowds 2015/3/21 06:32
We were in Kyoto last November and have been during Autumn leaf viewing season a couple of times before (and will be heading there again this year). We did not notice that it was particularly crowded - maybe it's based on your expectations.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto autumn colours & crowds 2015/3/21 08:02
Koyo season is spread over a longer timeframe, so it is not nearly as crowded as Sakura season. But remember Kyoto buses are always crowded with regular commuters, so they are not an indication of crowds.
We have visited Kyoto in both Koyo and Sakura, twice in each, and found Koyo to be fine.
Enjoy!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto autumn colours & crowds 2015/3/21 10:56
Koyo season is spread over a longer timeframe, so it is not nearly as crowded as Sakura season.

Yes, it is. November is the busiest time of the year in Kyoto. And especially the two weeks around the long weekend in late November are as busy as it gets. The true peak of the koyo season is as short-lived as the sakura blooming season. Only about a week - usually in late November.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto autumn colours & crowds 2015/3/21 14:20
Yes, it is. November is the busiest time of the year in Kyoto.
Oops I apologise: after suffering the unbelievable crowd in the Heian Shrine garden in Spring, as well as heavy crowds other places, (Kiyomizudera etc) nothing we have experienced in autumn has ever come close to it.
I stand corrected: my apologies.
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto autumn colours & crowds 2015/3/21 22:29
Thanks a lot to everyone who has answered!

I don't mind it being crowded unless it really affects the experience (you have to fight your way to find a spot to view things, you are pushed forward all the time by people wanting to get in or simply you can't relax a little and simply enjoy the scenery).

I don't want to see things in a rush, I'm a slow paced traveller and I have a flexible schedule so I'm open to visit some less crowded places too when the main attractions (kiyomizudera, tofukuji, gingakuji) are packed.
For exemple in the weekend I was thinking of having a trip to Nara (I was planning to go there anyway) since Kyoto will probably be even more busy on those 2 days.

by ItalianSan rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto autumn colours & crowds 2015/3/22 10:03
Nara will also be busy as it is also a popular autumn leaf destination. However, because the park is so vast, it feels less crowded. My best advice for Nara is to skip the "best" garden and go to the one next door, Yoshikien. This garden is free for foreign visitors (must show your passport, or just look foreign - I'm blonde, so that worked!), so it's usually quieter and it was my favourite garden in all of Japan. It looks spectacular in autumn!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto autumn colours & crowds 2015/3/23 07:48
We have visited during this season and found the venues, with patience, were crowded but friendly and polite. Our main problem was getting about. The buses were so crowded and the streets clogged with traffic. So suggest you avoid surface transport. We walked (and beat the bus to the station) but next time will hire bikes. Taxis were efficient when you could find one at peak times.
by Broulee rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto autumn colours & crowds 2015/3/23 08:33
I have been to Nara a few times in late November - say from about the 27th onwards.

There is still a lot of colour at that stage though it tends to brown off when the winds pick up (it is bitingly cold with the wind, take a heavy jacket) and that can happen in a day or two. We found Uji (the place, not the person) very nice that time of year. Not to say that Uji the person wouldn't be nice that time of year. But I'd strongly recommend a stop there as well.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto autumn colours & crowds 2015/3/23 16:00
hi,

i followed the post from start to end and found some informative tips for my upcoming trip to Kyoto this Nov too (although it is still far but well the sooner the plan is prepared, the better it will be).

I have a concern and much appreicate if someone can tell me..

Is it better to hire bikes to travel around Koyto? Is it easy to get the bikes packed? I doubt it a bit

anyone heard about HAKUBA? I plan to visit this place after Kyoto before heading back to TOKYO. What is your advice?.

- KYOTO-TOKYO-HAKUBA or
- KYOTO - HAKUBA - TOKYO

in term of easy transportation and time (I will use JR PASS)

Just small note, the reason I choose HAKUBA is becasue I hope I would be lucky enough to see first snowfall in late Nov

My trip will be 13 Nov to 20 Nov

Thanks!

by mitphuong (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto autumn colours & crowds 2015/3/24 05:11
Thanks a lot again to everyone who answered.
And I'm glad that someone else who's coming in november found this useful :)

I will definitely consider renting bikes, at least for the nearest attractions.

And thanks a lot for Nara and Uji suggestions.

So in general the crowd level will be pretty much the same throughout the day? It doesn't make a real difference if I get there early, or at lunch time or mid-morning mid afternoon, the amount of people inside temples and gardens will be pretty much the same right? (with the differene that getting there earlier you avoid long queues).

I'm also open to visiting some less known temples,shrines or gardens if anyone has suggestions about them :)

You are awesome people, all very helpful and kind. Really looking forward to this trip.
by ItalianSan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread