Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rail travel advise 2015/3/20 08:54
Hi,

I'm planning on holiday to Fukuoka in Dec, with short trip to Yufuin (1 day), Kumamoto (1 day) in between. This 1st time I'm planning Free & Easy trip, need guidance on the recommended transportation to these places. Was searching the web on this, which I got confused. Should I buy the Japan Rail Pass? If yes, which one should I buy? Which route should I choose; Fuk to Yufuin to Kuma to Fuk or Fuk to Kuma to Yufuin to Fuk?

Saw this train Yufuin no Mori, seems fabulous, thinking to try it, seems no online booking.

Need Help on this. Thanks

Regards
Kevin

by Kevin (guest)  

Re: Rail travel advise 2015/3/20 12:03
Look on hyperdia.com/en to work out the train prices and then decide if a JR Pass pays off; however since it is designed for long-distance travel I doubt it will.

I can't help you with Kumamoto, but I did go to Yufuin from Fukuoka last year. I did it as a day trip and found I had plenty of time to wander around Yufuin; however you could easily stay a night in an onsen. The Yufuin No Mori train was my first plan, however it is very popular and books out fast! You can't book it online, but you can reserve it at any JR station (the same process as reserving a seat on the shinkansen). However, do this as early as possible if you are arriving in Japan well before travelling to Yufuin.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rail travel advise 2015/3/20 22:15
I'd advise you to buy the 3-Day Northern Kyushu rail pass. It more than pays off if you take a round trip from Fukuoka to Yufuin.

As for your itinerary, I would do the following:
Day 1:
- Fukuoka to Kumamoto by Shinkansen Mizuho/Sakura/Tsubame (40-50 minutes)
- Kumamoto to Fukuoka by the same route

Day 2:
- Fukuoka to Yufuin by Limited Express Yufu/Yufuin no Mori (130 minutes)
- Stay a night at Yufuin (recommended!)

Day 3:
- Yufuin to Fukuoka by same route
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread