Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

18 days Tokyo & Osaka 2015/3/21 11:07
I'm planning to tokyo and osaka this november for 18 days and would appreciate anyone can share or suggest how to plan the places that i wish to visit.

1.tokyo
2. mt fuji
3. disneysea
4. shirakawa-go
5. kyoto
6. osaka
7. nara
8. kobe

Questions are as below.
1. Transport - To purchase JR pass?
2. Any good recommendation for bugdet stay for 2 adults & 3 children ages 9,15&16.
3. the route how to go the above places as i'll fly to tokyo and fly back at osaka.
4. november - mid of decemeber ...possible to see snow at shirakawa-go?
6.any attarctions must go or see particularly!

Thousand thank in advance!! Cheers
by chizgian  

Re: 18 days Tokyo & Osaka 2015/3/21 11:20
In my humble opinion, I don't think the pass for you will pay off. The longest trip for you is from Tokyo to Osaka. You can just buy the one way shinkansen or get an overnight bus from Tokyo to Osaka. I'm unable to answer your other question regarding snow.
by DavidWeb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 18 days Tokyo & Osaka 2015/3/21 11:21
This is the route I would be taking:

Tokyo (with Disney and side trip to Mount Fuji) - (shinkansen and bus via Kanazawa) - Shirakawago - (bus and train via Kanazawa) - Kyoto/Osaka (with side trips to Nara and Kobe)

If time and interest is available, I would consider spending some time in Kanazawa and/or possibly Takayama (in the latter case, the route would have to be modified).

A rail pass does not pay off for your itinerary. Regular tickets are cheaper.

november - mid of decemeber ...possible to see snow at shirakawa-go?

It is not guaranteed. In the average year, snow usually starts to accumulate around mid December, but sometimes there is snow much earlier or not until later.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: 18 days Tokyo & Osaka 2015/3/21 12:37
I agree that the JR pass is unlikely to pay-off because you are flying into Tokyo and back out of Kansai/Osaka. A couple of questions which might help with the plan.

If you are going to Fuji, is that simply a day-trip? Then you can benefit from a longer (less hurried) stay in Tokyo.

As you are in Tokyo, why are you adding Osaka? (another big city). You have Kyoto, so that would be a better option and if you want to go to Osaka, it's a short trip.

Nara is worthwhile. What else are you interested in (i.e. no point suggesting a car museum if you're not interested in cars).

I am interested in your visit to Kobe - seeing something in particular?

Not sure about the snow. You could detour via Nagano/Matsumoto/Nagoya/Kyoto or Nagano/Kanazawa/Kyoto (as suggested by Uji). Doing those legs might make a JRpass more attractive.

For good accommodation (for 5), try the Citadines (Tokyo and Kyoto) - apartment style with decent space and can be pretty cheap if you can get in - they got popular because they are good. Kanazawa has some good family options, or try a ryokan as they often have rooms with space for three or more (will be in Takayama in April, testing out somewhere new.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread