Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is JR rail pass worth to my itinerary? 2015/3/21 21:26
I will take trains from Haneda Airport to Kawaguchiko and climb Mt. Fuji and go to Oishi park and area around Kawaguchiko for a few days. After that I want to go to Hokaido to Sapporo by train and go to Furano and then back to Tokyo for 1 -2 days at Harajuku then take train to Haneda Airport. Is it worth to buy JR rail pass? if yes 7 days or 14 days.
by narunpak (guest)  

Re: Is JR rail pass worth to my itinerary? 2015/3/21 21:52
A train trip to Hokkaido will make the pass pay off, but it is a very long journey. I recommend to fly instead. It is much faster and also cheaper.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR rail pass worth to my itinerary? 2015/3/21 22:08
If you are going about Hokkaido + Fuji, then a 7 day JR Pass is worth your time. You would still have to fly back to Tokyo though unless you can do everything in 7 days. (My friend did so, plus a night in Hirosaki, though he did Hokkaido then Fuji)

A 14 day JR pass is not needed. As stated by Uji, flying into Hokkaido and getting a Hokkaido Regional Train Pass is a better deal.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR rail pass worth to my itinerary? 2015/3/22 00:18
Thanks a lot you two for good advice.
My main objective to climb Mt. fuji. I am thinking Hokkaido is nice to go in winter if I go in summer just would like to see lavender field which I think I can see at Oishi park near Kawaguchigo lake. I think if I do Hokkaido I will do after climbing up Mt.Fuji. I have time for 15 days for one time entry to Japan. Then 14 day JR rail pass for my whole trip Haneda to Kawaguchiko for Mt.Fuji to Hokkaido to Harajuku to Haneda is still not worth.
by narunpak (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is JR rail pass worth to my itinerary? 2015/3/22 00:44
Another thing to consider is the covenience of having a JR Rail Pass. You don't need to figure out how much to pay for each ticket at the ticket machines and you get free reserved seats on Limited Express trains.
Do you know there is a special round trip ticket for the NEX (Narita Express)? If you use that you can probably get away with just a 7-day JR Pass.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

reply to this thread